Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Usage: 1971
Agricultural training was one of the primary missions of the College from its beginnings. In the 1872 Catalog, Agriculture is listed as one of 13 courses of study. It consisted of lectures on: the selection, breeding, food, shelter, use, nature, and management of farm animals; dairy farming; soils; plants; landscape gardening; floriculture; farm economics; and building materials. Agriculture was one of the first four major administrative divisions created when Deans were appointed to the academic departments. In 1907-08, there was a School of Scientific Agriculture and a School of Agricultural Apprentices, but both were subordinate to the Department of Agriculture that had its own Dean. In 1920-21, the title was changed to School of Agriculture; then in 1964, it became the College of Agriculture. The name was changed to the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences in 1971.
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
The collection contains material collected by the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS). Materials include pamphlets, scrapbooks, photographs, negatives, slides, video tapes, invitations, and programs from department, college, and university events.
This collection contains correspondence, newspaper articles, speeches, and awards relating to Louis A. Swiger's career at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
The Records of the Virginia Tech Dairy Science Complex, RG 13/8/1, contains 23 ledgers about the dairy herds in the Department of Dairy Science farms from 1916 to 1969, with the bulk dating 1948 to 1968. The ledgers include information about breeding records, calfing, feeding records, pedigrees, and general health of the university's dairy cows. Some ledgers contain certificates and awards from the VT Dairy Science Complex.