Virginia Veterinary Medical Association
The Virginia State Veterinary Medical Association was founded in Richmond on February 6, 1894, "with a view to the advancement of veterinary medical knowledge throughout the State of Virginia." The association was incorporated by the General Assembly two days later. At its initial meeting (March 22, 1894), the 12 charter members adopted a constitution and bylaws and elected officers, with W. H. Harbaugh serving as the first president. Through its regular meetings, the association provided an avenue for the sharing of knowledge among members. It also pursued legislation that would regulate the practice of veterinary medicine throughout Virginia. An amended constitution, approved by the membership in 1954, changed the organization's name to the Virginia Veterinary Medical Association. The VVMA continues to be active today (2013).
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
This collection includes records--including meeting minutes, programs, bylaws, and printed materials--of the Virginia Veterinary Medical Association.