Maury Literary Society (1873-1928)
The Virginia Literary Society was formed in 1872 as the first student organization at the College. This Society split into the Sophsonian and Philomathian Societies in 1873. In May of that year, the Philomathian Society changed its name to the Maury Literary Society, in honor of Commodore Matthew Fontain Maury of Virginia. The Sophsonian had already become the Lee Literary Society in February. The Maury and Lee Literary Societies joined forces to produce the first student publication, the Gray Jacket, in 1875. In 1928, the two societies merged, but then folded one year later
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
This collection includes the written minutes and papers of the Maury Literary Society from 1873 to 1928 and documents related to the personal awards of the society's namesake, Matthew F. Maury. The Maury Literary Society was formed from the split of the Virginia Literary Society in 1873 along with its counterpart the Lee Literary Society. MLS helped create the first student publication, the Gray Jacket, in 1875. The MLS folded in 1928.