Skip to main content

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. University Club (1925-)


Historical Note

A Virginia Tech faculty group organized the University Club in 1925. The club house, located on Otey Street, was built on land leased from the university. In June 1929, construction began on the clubhouse. Soon the club gained 125 members and has continued to grow throughout the years. It was completed in 1930 at a cost of $38,000. It contains 8,773 square feet. It once contained a dining room, which ceased operations in 1935 when the old Faculty Center dining room opened. On December 2, 1953 at the annual meeting members burned the last of the bonds representing the indebtedness of $40,000 incurred in building the clubhouse on campus. The building was valued at $70,000 in 1953.

Since the founding, the membership has included Nobel Prize winners, University Presidents, corporate and civic leaders, and distinguished artists and professors. The club's mission is to "provide programs to enhance the cultural and social life of its members and maintain a suitable clubhouse."

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Records of the University Club

 Record Group
Identifier: RG-29-04

The collection consists of papers detailing the founding, construction, administration, finances, and membership of the University Club at Virginia Tech.

Dates: 1925 - 2000