Preston and Olin Institute (Blacksburg, Va.)
The Preston and Olin Institute was a Methodist school created in 1851. In 1972, due to financial distress, the institute was restructured as the Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College to receive land-grant funding. Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College was renamed in 1970 Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
This collection contains the papers and artifacts of an interrelated family prominent in Blacksburg's history. It includes the Civil War letters of Confederate surgeon Dr. Harvey Black, the Civil War diary of hospital steward John S. Apperson, cotton books and correspondence of Germanicus Kent, nineteenth-century account books of a Blacksburg general store, 1912 European travel diary, and the political scrapbooks of State Senator and Attorney General Harvey B. Apperson.
This collection contains an agent’s book for Olin and Preston Institute, five copies of reports from the Committee on Seminaries, and programs from the Alpha Literary Society and Preston Literary Society.