Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences. School of Education (2004-present)
Courses in education have been offered in specific programs throughout the history of the university, including Agricultural Education (1918); Physical Education, Home Economics Education, and Vocational Industrial Education (1921); Industrial Arts Education (1946); Business Education (1950); and Distributive Education (1954). In 1951, the Board of Visitors approved a Master of Education degree, which was available in vocational academic areas on the Blacksburg campus and other areas on the Women's Division at Radford.
A Department of Education [RG 15/29] was founded in the College of Arts and Sciences starting 1965, and the College of Education [RG 17] was established on July 1, 1971. In 1996, the College of Education merged with the College of Human Resources to form the College of Human Resources and Education [RG 19]. In 2002, it became the College of Human Sciences and Education. In July of the next year, the College dissolved, and most departments joined the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences (CLAHS) [RG 48], which formed that same year.
In 2004, The School of Education was formed within CLAHS by joining the Departments of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies and of Teaching & Learning, the Virginia's Training & Technical Assistance Center (T/TAC), Virginia VIEW (Vital Information for Education and Work), the Center for Instructional Technology Solutions for Industry & Education (CITSIE), and the Center for Assessment and Evaluation in Educational Practice (CAEEP).
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
The collection contains oral history CDs and transcripts with individuals involved in the adpation of technology in education at Virginia Tech. The interviews were contducted by Jan Nespor and the interviewees include Erv Blythe, Peggy Meszaros, Jesuha Pacifici, and Mark Sanders.