Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. School of Forestry and Wildlife Resources
- Usage: 1976 - 1993
By the 1930s, Virginia Polytechnic Institute offered its first programs in forestry and wildlife. The Virginia Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit began in 1935, and in 1959, the Department of Forestry and Wildlife was made a unit of the College of Agriculture. In 1974 the Department of Forestry and Forest Products and the Department of Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences were formed. A year later, the School of Forestry and Wildlife Resources was created within the College of Agriculture. In 1990, faculty and administrators initiated a proposal remove the School of Forestry and Wildlife Resources from the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, in order to establish a separate college. By 1992, the College of Forestry and Wildlife Resources was offically established and offering majors and minors to students, although it was not fully phased in until 1994. In 2000, the college changed its name to the College of Natural Resources, and in 2010, it became the College of Natural Resources and Environment.