Roanoke and Southern Railway Company
The Roanoke and Southern Railway Company was formed in 1887, through the consolidation of the Roanoke and Southern Railway Company of Virginia and the Roanoke and Southern Railway Company of North Carolina. The company was to construct a rail line from Roanoke, Virginia southward through North Carolina to the South Carolina state line. The road opened for traffic from Winston-Salem, North Carolina to Martinsville, Virginia in 1891 and to Roanoke the following year. Beginning in March 1892, the company leased its railroad, property and franchises to the Norfolk & Western Railroad Company, which operated the 122-mile line as its Winston-Salem Division. The Roanoke and Southern's mortgage fell into foreclosure, however, and the company's property was sold at auction in 1896. The new owners reorganized the company as the Norfolk, Roanoke and Southern Railroad Company, with the line again leased to Norfolk & Western.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
The collection consists of a flyer containing amendment to the charter of the Roanoke and Southern Railway Company, ratified by the North Carolina General Assembly in 1893.