Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute. Corps of Cadets (1896-1944)
Two cadet companies were organized in 1872-73, but the Corps of Cadets was not officially established until 1891-92. The first Commandant of Cadets was General J.H. Lane, appointed in 1872. Commandants have been appointed by the Board of Visitors since that time, except for 1880-81 when the Board failed to appoint either a Commandant or a president, so the acting president appointed a senior cadet as acting Commandant. In 1966, this post was put under the Dean of Students (now Vice- President of Student Affairs). From 1908 to 1964, a president of the Corps was elected each year. This individual's primary responsibility was to serve as chairman of the Cadet Senate. The first constitution of the Corps was adopted in 1908. Both civilian and cadet units served under this single constitution until 1916 when a Unified Student Body was formed (now the Student Government Association).
For a chronological list of Corps units, under their original names, as well as lists of Commanders, Commandants, and Presidents of the Corps, see Historical Data Book 1872-1972.
Found in 15 Collections and/or Records:
The Patrick H. Butler Collection includes materials from 1911-1990. The collection contains personal papers and photographs relating to Butler’s tenure as a Virginia Tech student and his alumni relationship with the university.
The collection contains items, which belonged to or were collected by Harold C. Cox during his time as a student at Virginia Agriculture and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute from 1922-1926, and his continued experiences with the university as alumnus, primarily from the 1970s and 1980s.
The photograph collection at Special Collections and University Archives consists primarily of historical photographs of Virginia Tech, dating back to the 1890s. The collection is also home to historic images of Blacksburg, Montgomery County, the New River Valley, and Southwest Virginia in general. A photograph collection of faculty and staff from the university is maintained separately.
This collection contains photographs, publications, journals, writings and artifacts pertaining to Earl H. Hornbarger's time as a student at VPI, his later career as an engineer with Westinghouse Electric Company, and his involvement as a VPI alumnus.
Notes attached to box items were found in read: "Corps Maroon Sashes" and "Maroon sashes from the Tailor Shop."
The Named/Individual Photograph Collections include images from alumni and former faculty and staff, or individuals with ties to campus and the New River Valley. Collections (c.1890-present) depict campus life and events, railroad history, agricultural extension research, Blacksburg and surrounding areas, and some local families.
Collection contains a ROTC dinner program from 1933, a photograph of VPI Corps of Cadets, Officers of Company E (1934), and a photocopy of another Corps of Cadets photograph.
The Harry Downing Temple, Jr., Papers contains materials related to Temple's personal life, interest in heraldry and insignia, and his research and publications on the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets. Materials date from about 1872 to 2004.