Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. College of Home Economics (1964-1982)
- Usage: 1964 - 1982
Courses in Home Economics have been offered since 1921 and the Department of Home Economics began in 1924. The department was suspended in 1933 due to economic conditions, but reinstated in 1937. Until 1951, the General Assembly required students pursuing a degree in home economics to attend Radford College (VPI's Women's Division) for their first two years. In 1958, the Board of Visitors authorized establishment of a separate school of home economics at Virginia Tech, followed by the combining of the programs at Tech and Radford College under one dean. When the merger between Tech and Radford was abolished in 1964, Tech's school became the College of Home Economics. In order to convey the broader scope of the College's offerings, the Board of Visitors approved a name change to College of Human Resources on 22 March 1982.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
The collection of 30 images documenting a metabolism study conducted by the College of Home Economics at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Directed by Laura Jane Harper, the study was concerned with determining nitrogen requirements and utilization for young girls.