Skip to main content

Lobdell Car Wheel Company


Biographical Note

The Lobdell Car Wheel Company had its beginnings in 1830, when Jonathon Bonney and Charles Bush established a small foundry in Wilmington, Delaware. By 1867, the year it was incorporated as the Lobdell Car Wheel Company, the business had added partner George Lobdell and become the world's largest manufacturer of wheels for railroad cars.

White Rock Furnace, located five miles from Rural Retreat and near the head of Cripple Creek in Smyth County, was among the Lobdell Car Wheel Company's operations in Virginia. Built in 1875, and originally known as the Panic Furnace, the White Rock was purchased in 1880 by Lobdell, which also bought Brown Hill Furnace in neighboring Wythe County. The White Rock ceased operation in the early 20th century, when the company found it more cost effective to purchase, rather than mine and manufacture, its iron.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Lobdell Car Wheel Company Account Books

Identifier: Ms-1940-019

This collection contains the records of a Smyth and Wythe County, Virginia furnace and store operations of the Lobdell Car Wheel Company, including customer store accounts, payroll records, and furnace operation reports.

Dates: 1881 - 1902