John Henry Aaron, the third child of Christopher and Laura Giles Aaron, was born on February 11, 1889. He graduated from Virginia Tech in 1910 with a degree in applied chemistry. In 1918, Aaron was living in City Point, Virginia, where he married Emily Graves Bland (1890-1957) and was employed as an assistant chief chemist. By 1929, Aaron was living in Wilmington, Delaware. In 1935, he was living in Penns Grove, New Jersey and was working as a chemist for DuPont. John H. Aaron died in Wilmington, Delaware on December 5, 1953. He was buried in Blandford Cemetery, Petersburg, Virginia.
Jacob Carr Aaron, younger brother of John Henry Aaron, was born in 1894. Aaron attended officer training school at the beginning of World War I and served in the infantry throughout the war. In 1920, he graduated from Virginia Tech with a degree in chemical engineering. The census of that year found him living with his parents in Bristol, Virginia and working as a bookkeeper. He married Glenna King in 1921. Still in Bristol in 1935, he was employed as secretary-treasurer of Morley Bros. & Company, a produce distribution business. Aaron later became the company's manager and continued in that position until 1958, when the company dissolved. He later worked as secretary of Hulsey Flooring Service. Jacob C. Aaron died in February, 1971.
Harry Bertram Aaron, another son of Christopher and Laura Giles Aaron, was born in 1895. In 1917, Aaron graduated from the Artillery Training School and as a member of the Artillery Reserve Corps was immediately assigned to duty in France. He graduated from Virginia Tech in 1919 with a degree in mining engineering. The 1920 census places him in the Bristol, Virginia home of his parents, with no occupation. The 1930 census shows him still living in the home of his parents and the proprietor of a filling station. Aaron was still in Bristol as of 1935 and was working as a statistical clerk for the National Reemployment Service. He died before 1971.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Aaron Family Collection
This collection contains college memorabilia, including photographs, printed material, and banners collected by John H., Jacob C., and Harry B. Aaron, three Bristol, Virginia brothers who attended Virginia Tech during the early 20th century.