Tyler, Henry C. (Hal) (Henry Clement), 1878-1941
Henry Clement ("Hal") Tyler was born in Pulaski County, Virginia on December 10, 1878. He attended St. Alban's Academy in Radford and Richmond College before graduating from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1901. Admitted to the Virginia bar that same year, Tyler returned to Radford, where he established a law practice. In 1906, Tyler was appointed Radford's commonwealth attorney. He continued in that position through successive elections until 1922. In 1909, he was elected city attorney and served in that position until his death. In private practice, Tyler generally handled corporate law, including the legal affairs of the Belle Hampton Coal Company. Tyler also engaged in other businesses, being president of the Radford Hotel Corporation and the Radford Real Estate and Development Company. A Democrat, he served in the Virginia House of Delegates from 1924 to 1925 and on the Radford School Board. He was a member of the American, Virginia and several county bar associations; Phi Delta Phi; Kappa Sigma; and Radford's rotary and golf clubs. He was also a superintendent of the Old Brick Presbyterian Church in Radford and later an elder in Radford's Central Presbyterian Church. Unmarried, Tyler died in Radford on December 1, 1941.
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
The Tyler-Wilson Papers consist largely of correspondence of Virginia Governor James Hoge Tyler's family and his daughter Lily Tyler Wilson's family. Also includes a 1925 European travel diary maintained by Nancy E. Lukens.