Coade, Eleanor, 1733-1821
- Existence: 1733 - 1821
Eleanor Coade (1733-1821) was the rare successful London business woman. She began on her own as a linen-draper, before becoming a maker of artificial stones. She ran her business from 1769 until her death in 1821, after which it continued the manufacture of Coade stone by her last business partner, William Croggon, until 1833. She worked for many architects, Robert Adam and John Nash included. Many of the buildings of London and around England today exhibit her stone, including St. George's Chapel, Windsor; The Royal Pavilion, Brighton; The Royal Naval College, Greenwich; and a large quantity was used in the the refurbishment of Buckingham Palace in the 1820s.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
The collection consists of a trade card for an English builder and manufacturer of artificial stone, probably printed about 1784. The Coade stone business was started by Eleanor Coade in 1769 and operated into the 1833, later run by a business partner after Coade's death.