Jett, Robert C. (Robert Carter), 1865-1950
Robert Carter Jett, D.D. (1865-1950), of the Virginia Episcopal School, was consecrated the first Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Southwestern Virginia in March 1920. He selected Roanoke as the headquarters, and St. John's for his parish church. Bishop Jett established a diocesan newsletter, encouraged interdenominational cooperation among the Protestant sects, and oversaw a program of church construction and the growth of mission schools. He retired in 1938.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
The records of the Diocese consist of the Diocese's administrative records, including incoming (often from parishioners) and outgoing correspondence, with a scattering of newspaper clippings, photographs, building plans and surveys, pamphlets, and meeting minutes, from the central administrative office in Roanoke and the churches within the Diocese.