John Holliday Diaries and Photographs,
Collection is open for research.
Permission to publish material from John Holliday Diaries and Photographs must be obtained from Special Collections, Virginia Tech.
Language of Materials
Holliday's diaries, the first covering 1 May through 8 August 1864 and the second covering 1 September 1864 through 4 July 1865, begin with the regiment's entry into Virginia's New River Valley and conclude with his return to Ohio at the conclusion of the war. Holliday includes information on his participation in action in and around the New River Valley, including the battles of Cloyd's Mountain and New River Bridge. The collection also includes four photographs, believed to be of Holliday, and one of his wife. Two of the images have locks of hair under the glass and several have hand-painted details added.
- Civil War
- Cloyds Mountain, Battle of, Va., 1864
- Local/Regional History and Appalachian South
- Lynchburg, Battle of, Lynchburg, Va., 1864
- New River Bridge, Battle of, Va., 1864
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Diaries
- Winchester, 3rd Battle of, Winchester, Va., 1864
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US