Robert R. Gilruth Papers, 1936-1989 (Ms1990-053)
- 1936 - 1989
Collection is open for research.
Permission to publish material from Robert R. Gilruth Papers must be obtained from Special Collections, Virginia Tech.
Robert R. Gilruth (1913-2000) was an aerospace engineer and NACA/NASA administrator. He received his B.S. in aeronautical engineering from the University of Minnesota (1935), as well as his M.S. (1936). Gilruth was also a flight research engineer for Langley Aeronautical Laboratory of the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (1937-1945). From 1945 to 1950, he worked as chief of the Pilotless Aircraft Research Division, and assistant director (1950-58). He headed the Space Task Group for NASA (1958-61), and was charged with directing Project Mercury. From 1961 to 1972, he was the first director of the NASA Manned Spacecraft Center (MSC) in Houston.
The NASA website has a number of more extensive resources on Gilruth's work, including interviews and press releases, discoverable by going to the siteand searching "Gilruth."
Language of Materials
The Robert R. Gilruth Papers were donated to Special Collections in multiple accessions during 1990 and 1994.
The collection consists of Robert R. Gilruth's papers, notes, records, articles, photographs, awards, degrees, certificates, and artifacts from 1936-1989.
The collection consists of Robert R. Gilruth's papers, notes, records, articles, photographs, awards, degrees, certificates, and artifacts. A majority of the collection contains professional papers from Gilruth's work in NACA and NASA, including speeches and presentations, reports, photographs, oral history transcripts, notes, and newpapersclippings, as well as certificates, awards, and artifacts. Personal materials include a typescript diary, Gilruth's 1936 M.S. Thesis, and an unpublished memoir. A small collection of books has been removed and cataloged for the Rare Book Collection at Special Collections.
An initial description of the collection was completed after the donations in the 1994. In October and November 2012, the papers were re-housed as needed, books were removed for cataloging, artifacts were moved to a new box, and a finding aid was completed.
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US