Draper Mercantile Company Account Books
Scope and Content
This collection contains ledgers of the Draper Mercantile Company, a general store and associated enterprises operating in Draper (Pulaski County) from the late 19th century through the late 20th century. Included are two store ledgers, detailing customer names, transaction dates, and goods purchased. The collection also includes a day book maintained by the Bank of Draper, providing customer names and transaction amounts.
- 1908 - 1932
Language of Materials
The materials in the collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials.
Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction. Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (email@example.com or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.
According to the current incarnation of the business, the original Draper Mercantile was founded by E. G. Gannaway, G. H. Gilmer, E. T. Pratt, and J. H. Pratt, who ran the store as a partnership until 1944, when Gannaway’s sons, G. Gilmer and Lawrence C., bought out the Pratt and Gilmer interests and operated the business until 1979. In addition to its offerings in general merchandise, the store at times housed a blacksmith, barbershop, millinery, dress shop, and the local post office.
Ownership passed through several hands in the following decades, with the building becoming home to a furniture store and, later, an antiques dealership. In 2008, Debbie and Bill Gardner purchased the store and reopened it as the Draper Mercantile and Trading Company, returning the store to its original purpose but with a focus on locally produced goods.
1.2 Cubic Feet (3 boxes)
The collection contains account books of general mercantile business in Draper (Pulaski County), Virginia during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
The collection is arranged chronologically.
Source of Acquisition
The Draper Mercantile Company Account Books were acquired by the VPI Agricultural Branch Library in 1939 or 1940 and transferred to Special Collections and University Archives in 1955.
Rights Statement for Archival Description
The guide to the Draper Mercantile Company Account Books by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your- work/public-domain/cc0/).
The processing, arrangement, and description of the Draper Mercantile Company Account Books commenced and was completed in October 2012. Initial description was completed in or prior to May 1970.
- Draper Mercantile Company Account Books, 1908-1932
- John M. Jackson, Archivist
- 2020 (CC0 1.0)
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US