Blacksburg Community Concert Association Records,
Scope and Contents
This collection contains records of the Blacksburg Community Concert Association, organized to sponsor performances by nationally recognized classical music and dance artists on the campus of Virginia Polytechnic Institute. The collection consists largely of membership account books, which record the activities of the association's annual membership subscription drives. The ledgers contain such information as names of subscribers, places of residence, types of memberships, and amounts paid. Also included is a small collection of circular letters sent to members and a number of programs for association-sponsored events. (Several of these programs have been autographed by the performers.) A small collection of newspaper clippings completes the collection and relates to various shows sponsored by the association.
- 1936 - 1969
Language of Materials
The materials in the collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Permission to publish material from Blacksburg Community Concert Association Records must be obtained from Special Collections, Virginia Tech.
The Blacksburg Community Concert Association was founded in 1936 as means of bringing nationally recognized classical music and dance performers to the campus of Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Initially known as the Blacksburg National Concert Association, the organization was part of a larger, national organization sponsoring performers who traveled a nationwide circuit. The first president of the Blacksburg association was VPI president Julian A. Burruss. The association later operated under the name of the Blacksburg Cooperative Concert Association and finally as the Blacksburg Community Concert Association. The association undertook annual membership subscription drives in Blacksburg and surrounding communities, sponsoring three to five shows per season. In its 33-year history, the association sponsored more than 160 programs. The Blacksburg Community Concert Association ceased operations in 1969, when VPI and Radford College withdrew financial assistance.
2 Cubic Feet (4 boxes)
This collection contains the records (including membership ledgers, circular letters, programs, and newspapers clippings) of association organized to invite outside classical music and dance artists to perform on the Virginia Polytechnic Institute campus.
The collection is arranged by item type, then chronologically.
Source of Acquisition
The Blacksburg Community Concert Association Records were donated to Special Collections in 1976. Additional programs were donated to the collection in 1994.
Rights Statement for Archival Description
The guide to the Blacksburg Community Concert Association Records by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/).
The processing, arrangement, and description of the Blacksburg Community Concert Association Records commenced and was completed in May, 2012.
- A Guide to the Blacksburg Community Concert Association Records, 1936-1969
- John M. Jackson
- 2012 (CC0 1.0)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- 2020-08-03: Finding aid notes updated to new department standards. juliags
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US