Page Milling Company Ledgers
Scope and Content
This collection contains ledgers documenting the business transactions of the Page Milling Company of Luray, Virginia. Consisting of a day book, a journal, a cash book, and a sales journal, the ledgers provide details on the company's sales of corn, wheat, and screenings and its operating expenses, including labor.
- 1904 - 1935
- Page Milling Company (Luray, Va.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
The materials in the collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials. Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction. Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (email@example.com or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.
Located in Luray, Virginia, the Luray Mill and Elevator Company was built by C. W. Carter in 1895. In 1898, E. C. Harnsberger purchased the mill and renamed it the Page Milling Company. Operating in conjunction with the mill was the Luray Electric Company, a plant converting steam power to operate the mill.
According to at least one source, the product today sold by General Mills under the trade name Bisquick was invented by Robert C. Harnsberger at Page Milling. In its history of Bisquick's development, however, General Mills makes no mention of Harnsberger or Page Milling.
The mill, remodeled in 1929, was capable of producing 300 barrels of flour per day by the 1950s. Page Milling Company continued to operate as late as 1955.
1.2 Cubic Feet (4 boxes)
This collection contains four ledgers documenting sales and expenses of the Page Milling Company of Luray, Virginia.
The collection is arranged by material type.
Source of Acquisition
The Page Milling Company Ledgers were acquired by Virginia Tech prior to 1989.
Rights Statement for Archival Description
The guide to the Page Milling Company Ledgers by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/).
The processing, arrangement, and description of the Page Milling Company Ledgers commenced and was completed in March, 2018.
- Page Milling Company Ledgers, 1904-1935
- John M. Jackson, Archivist
- 2018 (CC0 1.0)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US