Frank M. Murdock Ledger
Scope and Content
This collection consists of a single ledger, maintained by Frank M. Murdock, of Kingwood (Preston County), West Virginia. The ledger details the activities of several local performing arts organizations in which Murdock was involved. Included are the constitution and meeting minutes of the Kingwood Amateur Troupe (1883-1884), programs and minutes of the Kingwood School Literary Society (1885-1886), and treasurer's notes of the Mozart Band of Kingwood (1893). Inserted in the ledger are Murdock's certificate of baptism (1877), a profile portrait of an unidentified young woman, and several notes regarding the Mozart Band of Kingwood. Accompanying the ledger are the cover boards of a second ledger, bearing lists of names and the minutes of an unidentified meeting.
- 1877 - 1893
- Murdock, Frank M. (Person)
Language of Materials
The materials in the collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials.
Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction. Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (email@example.com or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.
Frank M. Murdock, son of John S. and Lydia H. Lazelle Murdock, was born in Kingwood (Preston County), West Virginia, on July 31, 1865. By 1880, he was working as a grocery store clerk. He appears as a local editor of the Kingwood newspaper, The West Virginia Argus in 1888, but seems to have continued working as a clerk and by 1910, he was employed as a bookkeeper for a local bank. His occupation continues to be listed as bank bookkeeper through 1930. Murdock was involved in several local groups, including the Kingwood Amateur Troupe, the Kingwood School Literary Society, and the Mozart Band of Kingwood. Murdock married Myrtle Heilmann (1889-1973), a teacher, in 1916. Frank M. Murdock died in Fairmont (Marion County), West Virginia, and was buried in Maplewood Cemetery, Kingwood, West Virginia.
- "Frank Murdock" entry on 1880 US Census, Ancestry.com, https://www-ancestrylibrary-com.ezproxy.lib.vt.edu/discoveryui-content/view/14955474:6742
- "Frank M. Murdock" entry on 1920 US Census, Ancestry.com, https://www-ancestrylibrary-com.ezproxy.lib.vt.edu/discoveryui-content/view/37797553:6061
- "Frank Murdock" entry on Findagrave.com, https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/67496461/frank-murdock
- "Frank M. Murdock" entry in West Virginia, U.S., Deaths Index, 1853-1973, Ancestry.com, https://search-ancestrylibrary-com.ezproxy.lib.vt.edu/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=2568&h=1875511&tid=&pid=&queryId=395a4bc213d0aa7f88f47f9c4e33e175&usePUB=true#
0.1 Cubic Feet (1 folder)
Ledger maintained by Frank M. Murdock of Preston County, West Virginia, including records of various local performing arts groups with which Murdock was involved.
Source of Acquisition
The Frank M. Murdock Ledger was purchased by Special Collections and University Archives in 1988.
Rights Statement for Archival Description
The guide to the Frank M. Murdock Papers by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/).
The processing and description of the Frank M. Murdock Ledger commenced and was completed in April, 2021.
- Frank M. Murdock Ledger, 1877-1893
- John M. Jackson
- 2021 (CC0 1.0)
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2020-08-24: Finding aid notes updated to new department standards. juliags
- 2021-03-25: LM Rozema added missing notes for an unprocessed collection, added FA title and filing titles, added FA date from EAD, and added component with instances previously attached to collection level.
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US