Carrie T. Sibold Family Papers
Scope and Content
The Carrie T. Sibold Papers consists of scrapbooks, journals, V.P.I. reunion materials, photograph albums, family diplomas, and the diary of Nannie V. Sibold. As a whole, the collection dates from 1912 to 1990. However, Carrie. T. Sibold's scrapbook journals, which run from 1974 to 1990, constitute the the bulk of the collection material.
The journals and other scrapbooks contain a record of Carrie Sibold's daily activities, as well as newspaper clippings. Many of these clippings concern local events and history, local church activities, Blacksburg high school and college sports teams, television shows Carrie Sibold watched or intended to watch, soap opera summaries, and celebrity news. These journals document Carrie Sibold's life after her retirement.
Dating from 1912 to 1926, the diplomas include grammar school and high school diplomas for members of Carrie Sibold's family, as well as her bachelor's degree from VPI. The papers series contains various documents and papers related to the VPI alumni organization and reunion arrangements, as well as the diary of Nannie V. Sibold, which she kept from 1935 to 1939. The collection also includes eight photograph albums, most of which do not provide identification for the individuals pictured.
- 1912 - 1990
- Majority of material found within ( 1974-1990)
Language of Materials
The materials in the collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials.
Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction. Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.
Carrie T. Sibold (1904-1990) was one of the first women graduates at Virginia Tech, earning a B.S. in Biology in 1925. She formed part of the first class of women who enrolled as freshmen in 1921. Sibold worked for the Virginia Tech Alumni Office until her retirement in 1966. Afterward, she remained an active member of V.P.I.'s "Old Guard" and assisted in the arrangement of class reunions. Sibold was also known locally for her extensive doll collection.
14.8 Cubic Feet (12 boxes and 1 folder )
The collection consists of scrapbooks, journals, V.P.I. reunion materials, photograph albums, family diplomas, and the diary of Nannie V. Sibold. As a whole, the collection dates from 1912 to 1990. However, Carrie T. Sibold's scrapbook journals, which run from 1974 to 1990, constitute the the bulk of the collection material.
The collection is divided into four series:
- Series I: Notebooks - arranged by primary type of content
- Subseries A: Journals/Organizers - Sibold's personal journals and planners arranged chronologically
- Subseries B: Clippings - notebooks of newspaper clippings on TV, movies, local and national news, and science/nature - arranged chronologically
- Subseries C: Scrapbooks - notebooks used as scrapbooks, featuring newspaper clippings, church materials, and items of interest collected by Sibold - arranged chronologically
- Series II: Family Diplomas - arranged chronologically
- Series III: Papers - arranged by material type
- Series IV: Photograph Albums - arranged by material type
Source of Acquisition
The Carrie T. Sibold Family Papers were donated to Special Collections and University Archives in 1990 and in October 2012.
Rights Statement for Archival Description
The guide to the Carrie T. Sibold Family Papers by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/).
The processing, arrangement, and description of the Carrie T. Sibold Family Papers was completed in March 2014.
- Blacksburg (Va.)
- Local/Regional History and Appalachian South
- Montgomery County (Va.)
- Sibold, Carrie T. (Carrie Taylor), 1904-1990
- Sibold, Chloe M., 1899-1976
- Sibold, Nannie V. (Nannie Virginia), 1897-1957
- Sibold, Thomas W. (Thomas William), 1909-1930
- University History
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (1896-1944)
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute (1944-1970)
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (1970-)
- Women -- History
- Carrie T. Sibold Family Papers, 1912-1990
- Alexandra Dowrey, Graduate Assistant, and Kira A. Dietz, Archivist
- 2019 (CC0 1.0)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US