Jack Wellford Moss Papers
Scope and Content
The collections contains materials connected to Jack Wellford Moss. The collection consists of photographs (some of which are identified), graduation programs, a Varsity Football certificate, copies of the V.P.I Skipper, editions of The Bugle, and textbooks from the civil engineering program. Materials date from 1925 to 1968, covering both his time as a student and an alum.
Please note: This collection contains a racist photograph in Box 1, Folder 6 depicting a white person in blackface. The content may be offensive to patrons.
- 1925 - 1968
- Moss, Jack Wellford, 1904-1987 (Collector, Person)
Language of Materials
The materials in the collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials.
Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction. Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.
Jack Wellford Moss was born on June 22, 1904, and was a student at Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (V.P.I.) in the mid- to late-1920s, graduating with a B.S. degree in civil engineering in either 1926 (as listed in 1926 graduation program) or 1927 (as listed in 1928 university catalog). By his senior year was a Captain in Company A. He also played varsity football and was an active member in the Virginia Tech Minstrels club. Following graduation, Moss worked for the U.S. Army's Corps of Engineers. He died on September 4, 1987, and is buried in St. Paul's Cemetery, Ivy, Virginia.
University Bugles and University Catalogs
"Jack Wellford Moss" entry, Findagrave.com, https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/111840683/jack-wellford-moss, accessed January 13, 2022.
0.2 Cubic Feet (1 box)
This collection contains materials related to and collected by Jack Wellford Moss, a Virginia Polytechnic Institute alum.
The collection remains in its original order, apart from materials removed for cataloging (see Separated Materials note).
Source of Acquisition
This collection was acquired by Special Collections in 1991.
The following books were removed and cataloged for the Rare Book Collection:
- Coal Miners' Pocketbook: Principles, Rules, Formulas, and Tables
- National Electrical Code Handbook by Arthur L. Abbott
- A Future System of Airports For New Jersey: Phase B Report Vo. 1 by Albert E. Blomquist and Associates
- A Future System of Airports For New Jersey: Phase B Report Vo. 2 by Albert E. Blomquist and Associates
- Strength of Materials by James E. Boyd
- Standard Handbook for Electrical Engineers by Frank F. Fowle
- Handbook for Highway Engineers by Wilson G. Harger, C.E. and Edmund A. Bonney
- Structural Engineering by J.E. Kirkham
- Laboratory Manual Arranged to Accompany "A Course in General Chemistry" by William McPherson and William Edwards Henderson
- A Text-Book on Roofs and Bridges: Part I Stresses in Simple Trusses by Mansfield Merriman and Henry S. Jacoby
- A Text-Book on Roofs and Bridges: Part II Graphic Statistics by Mansfield Merriman and Henry S. Jacoby
- Logarithmic Tables of Numbers and Trigonometrical Functions by Baron Von Vega
Editions of the Bugle included in the donation were added to the collection of yearbooks kept in the University Archives.
Rights Statement for Archival Description
The guide to the Jack Wellford Moss Papers by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/).
The processing, arrangement, and description of the Jack Wellford Moss Papers was completed in November 2013.
- Jack Wellford Moss Papers, 1925-1968
- Betsy Reed, Graduate Assistant, and Kira A. Dietz, Archivist
- 2013 (CC0 1.0)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US