Henry B. Boynton Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains the papers of architect Henry B. Boynton. The bulk of the materials consists of financial and organizational material for the firm of Smithey & Boynton, and awards and honors bestowed on Boynton. The collection also includes a notebook from the Statics class he taught at VPI from 1931 to 1932.
- 1931 - 1991
- Boynton, Henry B., 1899-1991 (Person)
- Smithey & Boynton, Architects and Engineers (1935-1992) (Roanoke, Va.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
The materials in the collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open to research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials.
Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction. Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.
Henry B. Boynton was born in West Chicago, Illinois, in 1899 and grew up in Amelia County, Virginia. He graduated from Virginia Polytechnic Institute in 1921 with a B.S. in Agricultural Engineering and then again in 1923 with a B.S. in Civil Engineering. He then spent a year (1923-24) at the University of Illinois in Urbana taking architecture classes. He became a registered architect in Virginia in 1930 (he later registered in West Virginia, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania).
From 1924 to 1928, Boynton worked as a draftsman at Carneal & Johnston, Architects & Engineers, in Richmond, Virginia. In 1929 he worked as an associate with Louis Phillipe Smithey, Architect & Engineer, in Roanoke, Virginia. In 1935 he and Smithey became partners and formed Smithey & Boynton, Architects & Engineers, in Roanoke. Boynton became senior partner of the firm when Smithey retired in 1963.
Smithey & Boynton designed several structures over the years, including, in Roanoke, Christ Episcopal Church, the South Roanoke Fire Station, the Shenandoah Life Building, McClanaham Street Office Building, and the American Theater Building. The firm also designed Lane Stadium at Virginia Tech.
Associations with which Boynton was affiliated include the Virginia Chapter (later changed to the Virginia Society & Blue Ridge Chapter) of the American Institute of Architects from 1938 to his death. He served on the board of directors in 1952, 1953, and 1956, as vice-president in 1954, and president in 1955. He was a member of the State Registration Board for Architects, Professional Engineers, and Land Surveyors, as a Governor's appointee, from 1962-72 (President of the Board in 1967). He received a distinguished service award in 1980, and the Noland Award in 1989, both from the Virginia Society & Blue Ridge Chapter of the AIA.
Boynton served in the Army Corps of Engineers during WWII and completed his career as a colonel. He was a member of the Virginia Tech Alumni Board of Directors from 1969 to 1979 and Chair of its Annual Fund Committee from 1973 to 1979. He served on the Board of the VPI Educational Foundation, Inc., from 1978 to 1982. In 1976 Boynton recieved the Virginia Tech Alumni Distinguished Service.
Boynton died on September 13, 1991, at the age of 92, at his home in Roanoke.
2 Cubic Feet (2 boxes)
This collection contains the papers of architect Henry B. Boynton. The bulk of the materials consists of financial and organizational material for the firm of Smithey & Boynton, and awards and honors bestowed on Boynton.
The collection is arranged chronologically.
Please note: This collection is in off-site storage and requires 2-3 days notice for retrieval. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives for more information.
Source of Acquisition
The Henry B. Boynton Papers were donated to Special Collections in January 1992.
The following items were transferred from the Henry B. Boynton Papers to the Rare Book Collection (all bear Boynton's signature on the first free end paper):
- Hedrick, Earle Raymond, Logarithmic and Trigonometric Tables (New York: Macmillan Company, 1918). QA531 .K4 1913 Small Spec
- Hudson, Ralph G., The Engineers' Manual (New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1917). TA151 .H8 1917 Small Spec
- MacCracken, H. N. and H. E. Sandison, Manual of Good English (New York: Macmillan Company, 1918). PE1408 .M23 1917 Small Spec
- Wentworth, G. and D. E. Smith, Plane and Spherical Trigonometry (Boston: Ginn and Company, 1915). QA531 .W463 1915 Large Spec
Rights Statement for Archival Description
The guide to the Henry B. Boynton Papers by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/).
The processing, arrangement, and description of the Henry B. Boynton Papers commenced and was completed in January 1992. Additional processing and revisions to the finding aid were performed in 2006.
- Henry B. Boynton Papers, 1931-1991
- L.K. Smith, Manuscripts Curator, and John M. Jackson, Archivist
- 2009 (CC0 1.0)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US