J. Bolton McBryde Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of photographs, negatives, and glass plate negatives depicting Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute, Blacksburg, Montgomery County, and the New River area. Images are labeled with original labels, but undated. Where images were not labeled, a brief description is included in brackets on the envelope. The collection also includes eight painted views of campus photographed by J. Bolton McBryde and likely handpainted by his wife Mary Comfort McBryde.
- c. early 1900s
- McBryde, James Bolton, 1866-1925 (Person)
Language of Materials
The materials in the collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials.
Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction. Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (email@example.com or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.
James Bolton McBryde was born in Virginia in 1866. His father was John McLaren McBryde, President of VAMC from 1891 through 1907. J. Bolton McBryde taught chemistry at VAMC from 1903 until the time of his death in 1925. He married Mary Read Comfort of Knoxville, Tennessee, around 1906.
0.4 Cubic Feet (2 boxes)
This collection consists of photographs, negatives, and glass plate negatives depicting Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute, Blacksburg, Montgomery County, and the New River area.
Items are arranged by material type.
Source of Acquisition
The images were donated to Special Collections and University Archives in 1992.
Existence and Location of Copies
Oversize photographs of the painted views of VPI are in the Historical Photograph Collection at Virginia Tech Special Collections and University Archives.
Rights Statement for Archival Description
The guide to the J. Bolton McBryde Collection by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your- work/public-domain/cc0/).
The J. Bolton McBryde Collection was originally boxed as a named collection within the larger historic photograph collection, in 1992. When the glass plates were discovered in October 2011, the collection was re-housed for preservation purposes, and additional processing and description were completed in November 2011.
- J. Bolton McBryde Collection, c. early 1900s
- Kira A. Dietz, Archivist
- 2019 (CC0 1.0)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US