Curtis W. Roane History of Plant Pathology in Virginia and Biographies of Plant Pathologists Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection consists of "A History of Plant Pathology in Virginia" and biographies of individual plant pathologists written by Professor Emeritus Curtis W. Roane from the Department of Plant Pathology at Virginia Tech. The history covers the period from 1888-1974 and is divided into eras: "The Pre-Alwood Era," "The Alwood Era (1888-1904)," "The Reed Era (1908-1915)," "The Fromme Era (1915-28)," "The Wingard Era (1928-1964)," "The Couch Era (1965-74)," "The Foy Era, (July 1, 1974 to August 30, 1980)," "The Hooper Era (1980-1984)," and "The Moore Era (1984-1997)." Biographies of the following plant pathologists are included in the collection: John Joseph Albert (1935-78), Samuel Adam Alexander (1941- ), David E. Babineau, Robert E. Baldwin, Luben Spasoff Bozovaisky (1912-1990), Charles Roy Drake (1918), Alma P. Elliott, Sanford B. Fenne (1903-78), Joseph A. Fox (1934- ), Chester L. Foy (1928- ), Richard H. Gruenhagen, Kriton K. Hatzios (1949-2003), Robert Gordon Henderson (1903-1989), Kenneth D. Hickey, Wilbert Armande Jenkins (1905-1956), Dean A. Komm, Robert C. Lambe, 1927- ), John Lovelace LaParde (1906-1991), Arthur Ballard Massey (1889-1981), James Albertine McClintock, Frank Paden McWhorter (1896- ), Lawrence Ingram Miller (1914-1996), Laurence D. Moore (1937- ), Robert Spencer Mullins (1912- ), G. Keith Parris, Joseph Alexander Pinckard (1906- ), Carl Neel Priode (1898-1985), Robert Pristou, John J. Reilly, Curtis Woodard Roane (1921- ), Martha Ann Kotila Roane (1921-1996), John Felix Schneiderhan (1891-1974), John M. Skelly (1940- ), Grover Cleveland Smart, Jr. (1929- ), Roland Jay Stipes (1936- ), Harvey Earl Thomas (1890-1974), Ronald W. Tillman, Joseph L. Troutman, Edward Kemp Vaughan (1908-1990), Albert Simpson Williams, and Wirt Henry Willis (1924- ).
- 1993 - 1999
- Roane, Curtis W., 1921- (Person)
Language of Materials
The materials in the collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open to research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials. Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction. Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.
0.6 Cubic Feet (2 boxes)
Rights Statement for Archival Description
The guide to the Curtis W. Roane History of Plant Pathology in Virginia and Biographies of Plant Pathologists Papers by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/).
- Albert, John Joseph, 1935-1978
- Alexander, Samuel Adam, 1941-
- Babineau, David E.
- Baldwin, Robert E.
- Bozovaisky, Luben Spasoff, 1912-1990
- Drake, Charles Roy, 1918-
- Elliot, Alma P.
- Fenne, Sanford Bernell, 1903-1978
- Fox, Joseph A., 1934-
- Foy, Chester L., 1928-
- Gruenhagen, Richard H.
- Hatzios, Kriton K., 1949-2003
- Henderson, Robert Gordon, 1903-1989
- Hickey, Kenneth D.
- Jenkins, Wilbert Armande, 1905-1956
- Komm, Dean A.
- LaParde, John Lovelace, 1906-1991
- Lambe, Robert C., 1927-
- Massey, A. B. (Arthur Ballard)
- McClintock, James Albertine
- McWhorter, Frank Paden, 1896-
- Miller, Lawrence Ingram, 1914-1996
- Moore, Laurence D., 1937-
- Mullins, Robert Spencer, 1912-
- Parris, G. Keith
- Pinckard, Joseph Alexander, 1906-
- Priode, Carl Neel, 1898-1985
- Pristou, Robert
- Reilly, John J.
- Roane, Curtis W., 1921-
- Roane, Martha Ann Kotila, 1921-1996
- Schneiderhan, John Felix, 1891-1974
- Science and Technology
- Sipes, Roland Jay, 1936-
- Skelly, John M., 1940-
- Smart, Grover Cleveland, Jr., 1929-
- Thomas, Harvey E., 1890-1974
- Tillman, Ronald W.
- Troutman, Joseph L.
- University History
- Vaughan, Edward Kemp, 1908-1990
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (1970-)
- Williams, Albert Simpson
- Willis, Wirt Henry, b.1924
- (CC0 1.0)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- 2020-09-30: Finding aid notes updated to new department standards. juliags
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US