Carneal and Johnston Architectural Drawings,
Scope and Contents
The collection contains detail drawings, sketches, and tracings of several campus buildings. Items include 1934 drawings of 1934 Faculty Dormitory and Campus Soical Center, 1939 drawings of Agricultural Hall, 1952 and 1959 drawings of the Academic Science building, 1959 and 1961 drawings of the Engineering building, and 1961 and 1968 sketches of dorm buildings. The collection also contains original detail drawings and tracings of the Biology, Geology, and Education building.
- 1939-1968, n.d.
Language of Materials
The materials in the collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials. Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction. Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.
J. Ambler Johnston was born in 1885 and was a 1904 graduate of Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute. He also earned a master of science degree in 1905 from VPI. Johnston resided in Richmond, Virginia, where he served as a charter member of the Richmond Rotary Club and was a Civil War scholar. He died in 1974.
William Leigh Carneal, Jr., was born in Richmond on October 24, 1881, and graduated in 1903 from the Virginia Military Institute. He began his architectural practice around 1906 following a three year stint as a clerk in his father's company, Sitterding-Carneal-Davis Company. He died in 1958.
In 1908, Carneal and Johnston combined offices. The firm's first building was the original McBryde Hall on the VPI campus, completed in 1917. The firm helped to incorporate the Collegiate Gothic style to the campus landscape. For a brief period, the firm included a third partner and was known as Carneal, Johnston, & Wright. Both Carneal and Johnston retired in the 1950s. In 1999, the surviving firm of Carneal and Johnston merged with Ballou, Justice, & Upton Architects.
3 Cubic Feet (3 boxes)
Scope and Contents
The Carneal and Johnston Architectural Drawings were transferred from the Office of the University Architect in February 2001.
Rights Statement for Archival Description
The guide to the Carneal and Johnston Architectural Drawings by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/).
The processing, arrangement, and description of the Carneal and Johnston Architectural Drawings was completed in 2001.
- A Guide to the Carneal and Johnston Architectural Drawings, 1939-1968, n.d.
- Special Collections Staff
- 2011 (CC0 1.0)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- 2020-10-02: Finding aid notes updated to new department standards. juliags
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US