Ingles Family Collection
Scope and Content
The Ingles Family Collection contains a ledger from the Ferry Hill store with entries dated between 1797 and 1804, and three of six volumes of the Ingles family Bible (published by Samuel T. Armstrong in 1823).
- 1797 - 1823
Language of Materials
The materials in the collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials.
Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction. Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (email@example.com or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.
Mary Draper Ingles, trans-Alleghany pioneer, was born in Philadelphia in 1732, the daughter of George and Elenor Hardin Draper. In 1748, she moved with her parents to Southwest Virginia, where Mary married William Ingles (born in London, 1729) in 1750. The Draper and Ingles families together established the first English-speaking settlement west of the Alleghanies at Draper's Meadow (predecessor to today's Blacksburg).
In July 1755, Mary Draper Ingles, her sons George and Thomas, her sister-in-law Betty Draper and others were captured during a Shawnee raid and were led up the New River and into present-day Kentucky. Eventually, Mary escaped, and her 850-mile trek back to her home has been documented in a number of published sources and a dramatic interpretation.
After her return, Mary and her husband William lived in Bedford County for several years but eventually returned to Montgomery County. At a location within the bounds of present-day Radford, Virginia, they established Ingles Ferry, which eventually grew to include a tavern, general store and blacksmith shop. Mary would give birth to four more children (John, Mary, Susan and Rhoda) before her husband died in 1782. Mary died in 1815.
0.6 Cubic Feet (2 boxes)
The Ingles Family Collection includes the Ferry Hill Ledger (1797-1804) and 3 of 6 volumes of Ingles Family Bible (1823); first available documentation of Mary Draper Ingles (kidnapped at infamous Draper Meadows Massacre and later escaped from Shawnee Indian captivity) and William Ingles, operator of Ingles Ferry, Ingles Ferry Hill Tavern, and blacksmith shop. Documentation of the family's extraordinary history, its ferry, and related enterprises provides scholars with unparalleled material for the study of Southwest Virginia.
Source of Acquisition
The Ingles Family Collection was donated to Special Collections in 2002.
Rights Statement for Archival Description
The guide to the Ingles Family Collection by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/).
The processing, arrangement and description of the Ingles Family Collection was completed in Summer 2002.
- Ingles Family Collection, 1797-1823
- John M. Jackson, Archivist
- 2002 (CC0 1.0)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Original 2002 web version of the finding aid funded in part by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US