Civil War Small Manuscripts Collection
Scope and Content
A collection created from individual small (1- to 2-folder) manuscripts, containing such items as letters, diaries, reminiscences, and ephemera relating to the American Civil War.
- 1861 - 1996
- Hart, Henry Waldo, 1832-1895 (Corporal, 2nd Connecticut Light Artillery Battery) (Person)
- Garrett, Samuel Edwin, 1835(?)-1865 (Person)
- Turner, Mary H. (Person)
- Walther, C. F. W., 1811-1887 (Person)
- Prillaman family (Family)
- Shreve, David Prentiss (Lexington, Va.) (Person)
- Hilton, John, 1828-1903 (Person)
- Holcombe family (Family)
- Charlton family (Montgomery County, Va.) (Family)
- Hayes, Carl N. (Person)
- Duncan, William E. (Person)
- Compton, John R. (Person)
- Fitting, Minnie Adams (Person)
- Evans, Washington C. (Person)
- Baker family (Family)
- Babcock, H. O. (Person)
- Briggs, Marian (Person)
- Bailey, Pattie Dobson Talley, b.1888 (Person)
- Jordan, Charles Francis, 1837-1922 (Person)
- Houck family (Family)
- Armistead, Mary Frances (Person)
- McKinnis, Henry, 1841-1893 (Person)
- Campbell, Donald (Co. K, 12th Regiment [New York State Militia?]) (Person)
Language of Materials
The materials in the collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials.
Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction. Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.
1 Cubic Feet (2 boxes)
This contains a collection of small (1- to 2-folder) manuscripts related to various aspects of the American Civil War and obtained from various sources.
The collection is arranged alphabetically by name of person, place, military unit, etc.
Rights Statement for Archival Description
The guide to the Civil War Small Manuscripts Collection by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/).
- Civil War Small Manuscripts Collection, 1861-1996
- John M. Jackson, Archivist
- 2003 (CC0 1.0)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US