Marcus L. Oliver Correspondence
Scope and Contents
The collection contains business correspondence from Oliver's tenure with the Virginia Tech Alumni Association (1950-1968) and the University of the South Alumni Association. The collection also includes personal correspondence from 1947 to 2010. Letters in the collection are written to Oliver by numerous correspondents. Other materials include carbon or onion skin copies of letters by Oliver, created in the course of professional and personal activities. In some cases, correspondence to and from the same person is clipped or stapled together.
Correspondents significant to the history of Virginia Tech, as well as those with large contributions to the collection are listed under the "Index Terms" section of the finding aid below. Major topics include Virginia Tech Alumni Association business, Virginia Tech German Club events, and general professional correspondence. The collection also contains photocopies of a small number of articles by Oliver for The Techgram in 1950.
- 1947 - 2010
- Majority of material found within 1950 - 1985
- Norcross, William Ernest (Person)
Language of Materials
The materials in the collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials. Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction. Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (email@example.com or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.
Marcus L. Oliver graduated from VPI in 1947 with a BS in Argicultural Education. In 1949, he obtained a MS from the University of North Carolina. From 1949 to 1968, he worked for the Virginia Tech Alumni Association in several capacities: Assistant Secretary (1949-1960), Secretary (1960-1965), Director of Alumni Affairs (1965-1966), and Director of Placement (1966-1968). After Virginia Tech, Oliver served as the Director of Development, then Director of Annual Giving at the University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee.
1.4 Cubic Feet (1 box)
The collection contains business correspondence from Oliver's tenure with the Virginia Tech Alumni Association (1950-1968) and the University of the South Alumni Association. The collection also includes personal correspondence from 1947 to 2010.
The collection is arranged alphabetically. Correspondence is in folders according to the first letter of the last name. Each letter of the alphabet has one to two folders. Although multiple pieces of correspondence by the same author are sometimes stapled or paper-clipped together, please note this is not always the case. The original order of the materials has been maintained.
Additional materials processed in July 2017 were added to the back of the appropriate alphabetical folder.
Source of Acquisition
The bulk of the Marcus L. Oliver Correspondence was donated to Special Collections in June 2009, though some materials pre-date this (there is at least one donation from 2004). Additional materials were donated in 2010.
Rights Statement for Archival Description
The guide to the Marcus L. Oliver Correspondence by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/).
The processing, arrangement, and description of the Marcus L. Oliver Correspondence commenced and was completed in June 2009. Additional description was completed in July 2017.
- German Club (Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University). Alumni Foundation
- Oliver family
- Oliver, John
- Oliver, Marcus L. (Correspondent) -- Correspondence
- University History
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute (1944-1970)
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (1970-)
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Alumni Association
- Virginia Tech Alumni Association
- Norcross, William Ernest (Person)
- Roberts, James (Person)
- Rowe, C. Eugene, d.1987 (Person)
- Powell, James V. (Person)
- Roberts, Anne (Person)
- Tatum, Omar (Person)
- Taylor, Gregory C. (Person)
- Shackelford, Grace (Person)
- Webb, Jack (Person)
- Vernon, William D. (Person)
- Wasko, Barbara (Person)
- Oliver, Marcus L. (Person)
- Frazer, George Preston (Person)
- Shackelford, George Green, 1921-2010 (Person)
- Johnston, G. Burke (George Burke), 1907-1995 (Person)
- Hahn, T. Marshall, Jr. (Thomas Marshall), 1926-2016 (Person)
- Mayo, Fitzhugh (Person)
- Musser, Harry P. (Person)
- Marmion, William H. (William Henry), 1907-2002 (Person)
- Mayo, Elizabeth (Person)
- King, Helen G. (Person)
- Johnson, Adger S. (Person)
- Gustin, Harry (Person)
- Godsey, John D. (Person)
- Gordon, Charles O. (Person)
- Fabian, G. Craig (Person)
- Forbes, Charles M. (Person)
- Dixon, James (Person)
- Dean, James W., 1920- (Person)
- Cochran, Edward (Person)
- Cahill, Edward (Person)
- Horton, Miles C., Jr. (Person)
- A Guide to the Marcus L. Oliver Correspondence, 1947-2010 (Bulk 1950-1985)
- Kira A. Dietz
- 2009 (CC0 1.0)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English
- 2020-11-05: Finding aid updated to new department standards. juliags
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US