Aileen B. Cowardin Friendship Book,
Scope and Content
The collection consists of a friendship book collected and maintained by Aileen B. Cowardin. The book includes leaf and plant samples, most of which are labeled as to the location where they were found. Several pages contain items of Civil War and/or local history interest:
- The first few pages contain unsent Confederate 3-cent blue stamps and a City of Richmond 10-cent voucher
- Page 11 contains is a visiting card of J. F. Damman dated 1877 with part of a leaf attached to a picture stating that it came from the tomb of Stonewall Jackson
- Page 15 includes a fragment of cedar with a notation that is came from Jackson's grave, including poetry
- Page 29 contains samples from Staunton, Virginia, and White Sulphur Springs, Greenbrier County, West Virginia
- Page 57 contains a faded, but genuine signature of Gen. Robert E. Lee pasted to the page
- 1863 - 1870
- Cowardin, Alice Bolling, b.1848(?) (Person)
Collection is open for research.
Permission to publish material from Aileen B. Cowardin Friendship Book must be obtained from Special Collections, Virginia Tech.
Although biographical information is limited, it is likely that Aileen B. Cowardin was born about 1848 in Virginia. She appears to have had four brothers, at least two of whom fought for the Confederacy, one enlisting with a local defense regiment when he was only fourteen. She also had an older sister. In 1860, the family lived in Hanover, Virginia. By 1870, they had relocated to Greenbrier County, West Virginia. No additional information was found.
0.1 Cubic Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
The collection consists of a friendship book collected and maintained by Aileen B. Cowardin. The book includes leaf and plant samples, most of which are labeled as to the location where they were found.
The Aileen B. Cowardin Friendship Book was purchased by Special Collections in November 2011.
The processing, arrangement, and description of the Aileen B. Cowardin Friendship Book was completed in November 2011.
- Aileen B. Cowardin Friendship Book, 1863-1870
- Kira A. Dietz, Archivist
- © 2011 Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. All rights reserved.
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US