Floyd H. Fish Railroad Collection,
Scope and Content
The Floyd H. Fish Railroad Collection contains materials relating to the railroad industry in the 20th century. Included in the collection are numerous magazines and newspaper clippings, as well as postcards, photographs, pamphlets, and a set of train-themed card decks from Norfolk & Western. The collection also originally contained a number of railway-related books which have been separately cataloged.
- 1927 - 1987
- Fish, Floyd Hamilton, Jr. (Collector, Person)
Collection is open for research.
Permission to publish material from the Floyd H. Fish Railroad Collection must be obtained from Special Collections, Virginia Tech.
The Norfolk and Western Railway, appearing many times in the collection, was headquartered in Roanoke, Virginia from 1838 until 1982. The result of over 200 railroad mergers, the Norfolk and Western Railway ran from the Atlantic Ocean to the Mississippi River and up to the Great Lakes.
0.4 Cubic Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The Floyd H. Fish Railroad Collection contains articles, magazines, and newspaper clippings involving the railroad industry in the 20th century. The collection also includes books, cataloged for the Special Collections Rare Book Collection.
The following books were removed and cataloged for the Special Collections Rare Book Collection:
- Steel, Ernest. Model Mechanical Engineering. 1959.
- Droege, John A. Passenger Terminals and Trains. 1971.
- Annual Report of the Engineer & Surveyor of the State of New York for 1873. 1874.
- Helmer, William F. O. & W: The Long Life and Slow Death of the New York, Ontario, & Western Ry. 1959.
- Feitz, Leland. Ghost Towns of the Cripple Creek District. 1974.
- Beckman, Martin; McGuire, C.B.; Winsten, Christopher B. Studies in the Economics of Transportation. 1956.
- Gross, Joseph. Railroads of North America. 1986.
- Reid, H. The Virginian Railway. 1961.
- Moedinger, William M. The Road to Paradise. 1983.
- Lake, C.S. & Reidinger, A. Locomotive Valves & Valve Gears. 1951.
- Erwood, P.M.E. The Railway Enthusiast's Guide. 1960.
- Mitchell. E.T. Steam Powered Passenger Trains of Yesteryear. Vol. 1. undated.
- Bixler, Herbert E. Railroads: Their Rise and Fall. 1982.
- State Engineering Report on Railroads in 1874. 1875.
- Van Metre, T.W. Trains, Tracks and Travel. 1939.
- Hadfield, Charles. Atmospheric Railways: A Victorian Venture in Silent Speed. 1967.
The processing, arrangement, and description of the Floyd H. Fish Railroad Collection was completed in February 2013.
- Floyd H. Fish Railroad Collection, 1927-1987
- Hannah Bochain, Student Assistant, and Kira A. Dietz, Archivist
- © 2013 Virginia Tech. All rights reserved.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US