U. S. Army Air Corps Photographs
Scope and Content
The collection includes 7 photographs showing U.S. Army Air Corps bombers and group bombing exercises. The photographs were taken during inspection and training exercises based out of Langely Field, near Hampton, Virginia, during March and April 1928. The photographs were taken by the U.S. Army Air Corps 2nd Photo Section and each includes a stamp on the back stating "If used for publication credit line must read Photo by U.S. Army Air Corps 2nd Photo Section Langley Field Virginia." Each photograph includes white text on the front indicating the subject and date of the photo. Some of the photographs are numbered. Some are in black and white and others are sepia tone.
The photos include:
- Inspection and Review 2nd Bomb. Group: Three groups of biplanes arrayed on a field in "V"-formations.
- 5 Group Bombing 1st Salvo: An array of explosions across a landscape.
- 6 - Group Bombing Formation 2nd Salvo: Three aerial "V"-formations of bombers.
- 13 Group Bombing 20th Sqdn Landing: A group of 6 biplane bombers landing in "V"-formation.
- 9 Group Bombing Formation 1st Salvo: Two groups of bombers flying in "V"-formations with one lone bomber trailing.
- 15. Group Bombing 2nd Salvo: A cluster of explosions within a landscape.
- 17. Group Bombing 3rd Salvo: A cluster of explosions within a landscape.
- 1928 - 1928
- United States. Army. Air Corps (1926-1942) (Organization)
Collection is open for research.
Permission to publish material from U. S. Army Air Corps Photographs must be obtained from Special Collections, Virginia Tech.
The U. S. Army Air Corps was originally created in 1907 as the U. S. Army Signal Corps Aeronautical Division. In 1914 it was renamed the Aviation Section of the Army Signal Corps. In 1918 it became the Army Air Service. It officially became a combat arm of the U. S. Army in 1920 and was again renamed in 1926, becoming the Army Air Corps. At the beginning of World War II, it was reorganized as the Army Air Forces and finally became the U. S. Air Force in 1947.
0.1 Cubic Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
The collection includes 7 photographs showing U. S. Army Air Corps bombers and group bombing exercises. The photographs were taken during inspection and training exercises based out of Langely Field, near Hampton, Virginia, during March and April 1928.
The U. S. Army Air Corps Photographs were purchased by Special Collections in February 2015.
The processing, arrangement, and description of the U. S. Army Air Corps Photographs was completed in December 2015.
- U. S. Army Air Corps Photographs, 1928
- Anthony Wright de Hernandez, Librarian
- © 2015 Virginia Tech. All rights reserved.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US