Skip to main content

Record Group 29 - Alumni Association

 Record Group
Identifier: RG-29

Dates

  • 1905-present

Historical Note

On August 11, 1875, Virginia Tech's first Alumni Association was formed by the twelve members of the first graduating class. In 1891, the Association was reorganized, under a new constitution, and began publishing an Alumni Register. The Association was incorporated on June 23, 1924. In 1964, new bylaws were adopted and the Association became more closely linked with the University. At the same time, the title of Alumni Secretary was changed to Director of Alumni Affairs, then to Executive Director in 1972, and then to Executive Vice-President in 1980. In 1990, the Alumni Association became an official part of the University, associated with the Office of Alumni Relations. The Office for Alumni Relations merged with the offices of University Development and University Relations into the Advancement Division [RG 21] in July 2015.

Past directors, under the various titles, are H.B. Redd (1926-1960); M.L. Oliver (1960-1965); Philip Oliver (acting, 1965-1966); C.B. Ross (1966-1967); H.L. Pritchard (acting, 1967-1968); and George E. Russell (1968-1995).

Extent

1.4 Cubic Feet (plus clippings and publications)

Language of Materials

English

Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository

Contact:
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US
540-231-6308