Simon Sycle Business Card
Scope and Content
The collection contains an undated small typescript pink business card that states "Simon Sycle, a dealer in clothing, furnishings, hats, and shoes, 14 West Broad Street, Richmond, Va."
- Sycle, Simon, 1846-1906 (Person)
Language of Materials
The materials in this collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials.
Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction.
Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.
Simon Sycle (1846-1906) was a promiment Jewish merchant in Richmond, Virginia, and owner of a clothing, furnishings, hats, and shoes store. He was in full control of his business until around the 1900 when he started to relinquish control to his sons. He passed away suddenly in 1906, leaving his business to his family. The business continued to run after his death until at the least the 1920s.
- "Simon Sycle" entry, Geni.com, https://www.geni.com/people/Simon-Sycle/6000000014408721242
- "The times. [volume], November 13, 1898, Page 12, Image 12" entry, Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers, https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85034438/1898-11-13/ed-1/seq-12/#date1=1777&sort=relevance&rows=20&words=Simon+Sycle&searchType=basic&sequence=0&index=16&state=Virginia&date2=1963&proxtext=simon+sycle&y=0&x=0&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=4
- "Times Dispatch, Number 17,058, 6 January 1906" entry, Virginia Chronicle, https://virginiachronicle.com/?a=d&d=TD19060106.1.1&srpos=4&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN-simon+sycle-------
- "Richmond Times-Dispatch, 17 December 1922" entry, Virginia Chronicle, https://virginiachronicle.com/?a=d&d=RTD19221217.1.68&srpos=9&e=------192-en-20--1--txt-txIN-simon+sycle+business-------
0.1 Cubic Feet (1 folder)
This collection includes a small pink business card from Simon Sycle, a dealer in clothing, furnishings, hats, and shoes located in Richmond, Virginia. This business was opened from about the 1890s to the 1920s.
Source of Acquisition
This collection was acquired by Special Collections and University Archives prior to 2012.
Rights Statement for Archival Description
The guide to the Simon Sycle Business Card by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/).
The processing, arrangement, and description of the Simon Sycle Business Card was completed in September 2021.
- Simon Sycle Business Card, undated
- Kiana Wilkerson, Graduate Assistant
- 2021 (CC0 1.0)
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US