Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
This collection contains a diary used by a Union and Confederate soldier, both unnamed, through 1864. The Union soldier chronicles his combat experiences during Jubal Early's raid on Washington, D.C., and the opening of Philip Sheridan's Valley campaign in August. The Confederate soldier's entries details activity during Early's push to drive the Union army out of the Valley and concludes with the battle of Opequon or Third Winchester.
The collection consists of a letter written by Jubal A. Early to General Ran William H. Payne of Warrenton, Virginia regarding Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical Collection (now Virginia Tech).
The Elliott Johnston Correspondence includes three letters from Sergeant Elliott Johnston to Col. John S. Mosby on the topic of relaying information from General Lee to General Early during the Civil War, some 30+ years prior.
- Names: Early, Jubal Anderson, 1816-1894 X
- Confederate States of America 1
- Correspondence 1
- Diaries 1
- Local/Regional History and Appalachian South 1
- Shenandoah County (Va.) 1
- Spotsylvania Court House, Battle of, Va., 1864 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Diaries 1
- University History 1 ∧ less
- Ewell, Richard Stoddert, 1817-1872 1
- Johnston, Elliot, 1826-1901 1
- Mosby, John Singleton, 1833-1916 1
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (1872-1896) 1