Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 16
This collection consists of eight letters written by American author Sherwood Anderson to Llewellyn Jones between 1916 and 1924 with three undated (but likely from the same period). Jones was the literary editor for the Chicago Evening Post. The correspondence primarily discusses the reviews of Anderson's works by Jones and other critics.
The collection consists of five typescript short stories and a set of galley proofs written and signed by Erskine Caldwell.
The collection contains three letters by poet Hayden Carruth, advising a younger poet named Kevin.
The collection contains the work of C. Ernest Cooke, a playwright, artist, and professor of English and Art History at Virginia Intermont Institute in Bristol, Virginia, from 1930 to the 1960s. The papers consist of manuscript and typescript plays by Cooke, and two copies of his publication, A Tabulated Biographical History of English Literature Correlated With the History of World Culture.
This collection includes three letters addressed to Lucy Dickinson, a student at Vassar College. Two of the letters are from Edward C. Root of New York, New York; the third, from Louise Bass of Atlanta, Georgia.
This collection contains four letters written by American author James T. Farrell to Eleanor Copenhaver Anderson between February 1952 and May of 1954.
The collection includes an autobiographical letter of Joseph Hergesheimer's youth, written in 1918.
Correspondence and printed materials of Miles C. Horton, Jr., a resident of Newport (Giles County), Virginia, includes letters from Annie Dillard, Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Pilgrim at Tinker Creek and materials relating to poet Randall Jarrell.
This collection contains two main sets of materials: Correspondence between Louis I. Jaffe and J. J. Lankes from 1930 to 1942 and correspondence between Alice Jaffe (Louis' widow) and J. B. Lankes (J. J.'s son) from 1980 to 1985. In addition, there is a small folder of notes and letter excerpts created by J. B. Lankes in the early 1980s.
The collection consists of four letters, all written while Henry James was in England, one each to Lady Grace Baring, "Mrs. Sheridan," the Society of Authors, and writer George Gissing.
- Authors 4
- Correspondence 4
- Women -- History 3
- American Literature -- Virginia 2
- Local/Regional History and Appalachian South 2
- Art, American -- Virginia -- 20th century 1
- British literature 1
- Faculty 1
- Photographs 1
- Ripshin (Grayson County, Va.) 1 ∧ less
- Anderson, Sherwood (Sherwood Berton), 1876-1941 4
- Anderson, Eleanor Copenhaver, 1896-1985 2
- Lankes, Julius J., 1884-1960 2
- Anderson, Robert Lane, 1907-1951 1
- Caldwell, Erskine, 1903-1987 1
- Carruth, Hayden, 1921-2008 1
- Cooke, C. Ernest 1
- Dickinson, Lucy 1
- Dillard, Annie 1
- Farrell, James T. (James Thomas), 1904-1979 1
- Hergesheimer, Joseph, 1880-1954 1
- Horton, Miles C., Jr. 1
- Jaffe, Alice Cohn Rice, 1905-1994 1
- Jaffe, Louis I. (Louis Isaac), 1888-1950 1
- James, Henry, 1843-1916 1
- Jarrell, Randall, 1914-1965 1
- Jones, Llewellyn, 1884-1961 1
- Lankes, J. B. (Julius B.), 1915-2010 1
- McAuley, Mary Ethel 1
- Morgan, Berry, 1919-2002 1
- Moss, Ann Eve, 1903-1988 1
- Seymour, Beatrice Kean 1
- Taylor, Welford Dunaway 1
- White, William Allen, 1868-1944 1
- Wister, Owen, 1860-1938 1 ∧ less