Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 18
Sherwood Anderson Correspondence with Llewellyn Jones
This collection consists of eight letters written by American author Sherwood Anderson to Llewellyn Jones between 1916 and 1924 with three undated (but likely from the same period). Jones was the literary editor for the Chicago Evening Post. The correspondence primarily discusses the reviews of Anderson's works by Jones and other critics.
John Brick Book Manuscript
The collection contains a typescript manuscript draft of John Brick's American Civil War novel, Jubilee (published by Doubleday in 1956).
Erskine Caldwell Papers
The collection consists of five typescript short stories and a set of galley proofs written and signed by Erskine Caldwell.
Hayden Carruth Letters
The collection contains three letters by poet Hayden Carruth, advising a younger poet named Kevin.
C. Ernest Cooke Papers
The collection contains the work of C. Ernest Cooke, a playwright, artist, and professor of English and Art History at Virginia Intermont Institute in Bristol, Virginia, from 1930 to the 1960s. The papers consist of manuscript and typescript plays by Cooke, and two copies of his publication, A Tabulated Biographical History of English Literature Correlated With the History of World Culture.
Lucy Dickinson Correspondence
This collection includes three letters addressed to Lucy Dickinson, a student at Vassar College. Two of the letters are from Edward C. Root of New York, New York; the third, from Louise Bass of Atlanta, Georgia.
James T. Farrell Letters to Eleanor Copenhaver Anderson
This collection contains four letters written by American author James T. Farrell to Eleanor Copenhaver Anderson between February 1952 and May of 1954.
Joseph Hergesheimer Letter
The collection includes an autobiographical letter of Joseph Hergesheimer's youth, written in 1918.
Miles C. Horton, Jr., Papers
Correspondence and printed materials of Miles C. Horton, Jr., a resident of Newport (Giles County), Virginia, includes letters from Annie Dillard, Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Pilgrim at Tinker Creek and materials relating to poet Randall Jarrell.
Jaffe-Lankes Family Correspondence
This collection contains two main sets of materials: Correspondence between Louis I. Jaffe and J. J. Lankes from 1930 to 1942 and correspondence between Alice Jaffe (Louis' widow) and J. B. Lankes (J. J.'s son) from 1980 to 1985. In addition, there is a small folder of notes and letter excerpts created by J. B. Lankes in the early 1980s.
- Authors 4
- Correspondence 4
- American Literature -- Virginia 3
- Women -- History 3
- Local/Regional History and Appalachian South 2
- Art, American -- Virginia -- 20th century 1
- British literature 1
- Civil War 1
- Faculty 1
- Photographs 1
- Ripshin (Grayson County, Va.) 1
- Students and alumni 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1 + ∧ less
- Anderson, Sherwood (Sherwood Berton), 1876-1941 4
- Anderson, Eleanor Copenhaver, 1896-1985 2
- Lankes, Julius J., 1884-1960 2
- Anderson, Robert Lane, 1907-1951 1
- Brick, John, 1922-1973 1
- Caldwell, Erskine, 1903-1987 1
- Carruth, Hayden, 1921-2008 1
- Cooke, C. Ernest 1
- Dickinson, Lucy 1
- Dillard, Annie 1
- Farrell, James T. (James Thomas), 1904-1979 1
- Hergesheimer, Joseph, 1880-1954 1
- Horton, Miles C., Jr. 1
- Jaffe, Alice Cohn Rice, 1905-1994 1
- Jaffe, Louis I. (Louis Isaac), 1888-1950 1
- James, Henry, 1843-1916 1
- Jarrell, Randall, 1914-1965 1
- Jones, Llewellyn, 1884-1961 1
- Lankes, J. B. (Julius B.), 1915-2010 1
- McAuley, Mary Ethel 1
- Morgan, Berry, 1919-2002 1
- Moss, Ann Eve, 1903-1988 1
- Powley, Beverly Carper, 1916-1988 1
- Seymour, Beatrice Kean 1
- Taylor, Welford Dunaway 1
- Turner, Nancy Byrd, b.1880 1
- White, William Allen, 1868-1944 1
- Wister, Owen, 1860-1938 1 + ∧ less