Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
In general, vertical files at Special Collections and University Archives include newspaper clippings, photocopies, ephemera, unpublished and/or informal publications, and other papers relating to a specific subject area. Files in this collection relate to individuals and families connected to the local area (Blacksburg, Montgomery County, and Southwest Virginia) and/or to Virginia Tech. Each individual/family below has at least one folder and many include cross references.
This collection contains the papers and artifacts of an interrelated family prominent in Blacksburg's history. It includes the Civil War letters of Confederate surgeon Dr. Harvey Black, the Civil War diary of hospital steward John S. Apperson, cotton books and correspondence of Germanicus Kent, nineteenth-century account books of a Blacksburg general store, 1912 European travel diary, and the political scrapbooks of State Senator and Attorney General Harvey B. Apperson.
The photograph collection at Special Collections and University Archives consists primarily of historical photographs of Virginia Tech, dating back to the 1890s. The collection is also home to historic images of Blacksburg, Montgomery County, the New River Valley, and Southwest Virginia in general. A photograph collection of faculty and staff from the university is maintained separately.
Map shows the farm and grounds of Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College. It contains field notes and a table of areas, which defines the acreage of various plots. Two hand-written notes are also on the map, one from Blackford in 1882, and one unsigned, but dated 1902.
This collection contains an agent’s book for Olin and Preston Institute, five copies of reports from the Committee on Seminaries, and programs from the Alpha Literary Society and Preston Literary Society.
Thirteen letters with their envelopes from VAMC student William Townes to family members L. W. Wimbish and Mrs. L. W. Wimbish in Boydton, Mecklenburg County, Virginia over the period March 15, 1875 to November 2, 1875. Letters concern his expenses and need for funds and his wish for news of home. Also mentioned are boarding in town, opinions of Blacksburg, a masque ball, constant drilling, fellow cadets, and farm matters.
For William J. Lawrence
For Henry D. Ayre
no glass in frame
In general, the Virginia Tech and Local History Mounted Clippings include newspaper clippings, photocopies, ephermera, unpublished and/or informal publications, and other papers relating to a specific subject area. Files in this collection relate to Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, and the activities of members of the community or university. The collection was primarily collected by library staff through the 1960s.
- University History 4
- Women -- History 3
- Agricultural extension work 1
- Civil War 1
- Folk, historical, and patent medicine 1
- Genealogy 1
- Huntsville (Ala.) 1
- Maps (documents) 1
- Marion (Va.) 1
- Medicine 1
- Medicine, Military -- History 1
- Photographs 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Diaries 1
- Virginia -- Maps 1 ∧ less
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (1896-1944) 3
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute (1944-1970) 3
- Preston and Olin Institute (Blacksburg, Va.) 2
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (1970-) 2
- A. W. Luster 1
- Amiss, Edwin 1
- Apperson family 1
- Apperson, Alex 1
- Apperson, Elizabeth Black 1
- Apperson, Harvey Black, 1890-1948 1
- Apperson, John Samuel, 1837-1904 1
- Apperson, Mary 1
- Black family 1
- Black, Harvey, 1827-1888 1
- Black, Kent, active 1876-1890 1
- Black, Mary Kent, b.1836 1
- Blackford, W. W. (William Willis), 1831-1905 1
- Caton, Louise 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Stonewall Brigade 1
- Eastern Lunatic Asylum of Virginia 1
- Kent family 1
- Kent, Germanicus, 1791-1862 1
- Kent, Lewis (enslaved person) 1
- Lemon, Lewis 1
- Marion Foundry and Machine Works (Marion, Va.) 1
- Southwestern Lunatic Asylum of Virginia (1887-1935) 1
- Townes, William 1
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute. Corps of Cadets (1896-1944) 1
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Corps of Cadets 1
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Corps of Cadets (1944-1970) 1
- W. Stone & Son 1 ∧ less