Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Virginia Lucas Letter
Abstract The collection contains a letter written by Virginia Lucas from Clarke County, Virginia to her brother [likely Daniel Bedinger Lucas] at Halltown, Jefferson County (now West Virginia) July 11, 1861. Virginia writes how she and other relatives were sent away from Jefferson County because of approaching Union troops. She relates some war news about an engagement in Berkeley, Virginia (now West Virginia) giving the casualty statistics as well as mentions of Turner Ashby, Joseph E. Johnston, and...
Nelson Family Papers,
This collection contains papers (primarily correspondence and Civil War documents) from the Nelson family of Clarke County, Virginia, 1783-1872, n.d.
Dates: 1783-1872, n.d.
- Jefferson County (W. Va.) 1
- Local/Regional History and Appalachian South 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Homefront 1
- Women -- History 1
- Lucas, Virginia (Virginia Bedinger), 1838-1865 1
- Nelson family 1
- Nelson, Adelaide, 1816-1875 1
- Nelson, George Washington, Jr., 1840-1903 1
- Nelson, Hugh Mortimer, Sr., 1811-1862 1