Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 27
The collection consists of an illustrated scrapbook, detailing the set up for a household, possibly compiled for a new bride or a school assignment.
This collection includes an undated Notice of Temperate Meetings held by Rev. J. W. West, Field Secretary of the Anti-Saloon League of Virginia. It includes subjects discussed and testimonials and probably dates between 1903-1909. The Anti-Saloon League of Virginia existed from 1901 to 1933, at the end of prohibition.
The Bartender's Cocktail Mixing Notebook [San Francisco, CA] contains typed cocktail recipes with directions for their creation in a small binder. Different sections include lesson plans for specific types of drinks, suggesting this was used in a bartending school or for bartending instruction.
The collection consists of a note to General John C. Breckinridge for permission to distill rye whiskey for medicinal and pharmaceutical purposes.
This collection includes wine bottle labels collected by Frank Campbell, an entomologist with the National Academy of Science - National Research Council, and a manuscript draft of his European travel memoir, titled "Better Late."
The Cocktail Ephemera Collection is a collection that was created in 2013. The collection consists of materials in a variety of formats (i.e., postcards, pamphlets, and adverstising ephemera) relating to the history of the cocktails, spirits, and wine, dating from the about the 1870s to the present.
The collection consists of a letter from Joseph G. Dill to Daniel C. E. Brady, written from Richmond, Virginia, on May 30, 1862. Dill writes Brady on a variety of topics including recent war news, the challenges of sending mail through conflict zones, a recent fishing party, the warther, and the price of goods.
This collection contains an undated cocktail menu for the South Pacific Room of the El Mirador Hotel. The menu's cover depicts South Pacific art and the El Mirador Hotel name. On the inside the menu shows colorful depictions of the cocktails offered by the hotel bar. The name and price of each drink is written below the drink depictions.
This collection contains a glass plate with the image of a moonshine still near Ivanhoe, Virginia, c.1932. There are also two black and white prints from the plate.
- Subject: Cocktail History Collection X
- Cocktails -- History 25
- Local/Regional History and Appalachian South 6
- Advertisements 3
- Culinary pamphlets 3
- Food Technology and Production 3
- Agriculture 2
- Civil War 2
- Ephemera 2
- Pamphlets 2
- Temperance 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- Wine and wine making 2
- Ann Hertzler Children's Cookbooks and Nutrition Literature Collection 1
- Architecture (discipline) 1
- Beer 1
- Correspondence 1
- Folk, historical, and patent medicine 1
- History of Women in Architecture 1
- Home economics 1
- Ledgers (account books) 1
- Medicine, Military -- History 1
- Patent medicines 1
- Postcards 1
- Prohibition -- United States -- History 1
- Railroad 1
- Roanoke (Va.) 1
- Rockbridge County (Va.) 1
- Virginia 1
- Virginia -- History 1
- Wine labels 1 + ∧ less
- United States. Bureau of Internal Revenue 2
- Bluthentahl & Bickart (1880-1919) (Georgia) 1
- Brady, Daniel C. E. (Daniel Charles Elliott), 1821-1878 1
- Breckinridge, John C. (John Cabell), 1821-1875 1
- Campbell, Frank Leslie, 1898-1979 1
- Dill, Joseph G., 1828-1886 1
- Hotel St. Francis (San Francisco, Calif.) 1
- Jordan, Joseph V. (Los Angeles Modern Bartending School) 1
- Kammerer, Joseph 1
- Los Angeles Modern Bartending School (before 1965) (Los Angeles, CA) 1
- Lowenbach Brothers (Alexandria, Va.) 1
- Norfolk and Western Railway Company (1896-1982) 1
- Old Kentucky Distillery (c.1880-1919) (Louisville, Kentucky) 1
- Olver, Lynne, d.2015 1
- Pitts, W. H. 1
- Price, Williamson 1
- Read, Thomas 1
- Scholz, Henry 1
- Scholz, Louis A. 1
- Stimmel Distilling Company (Norfolk, Va) 1
- The Virginia Brewing Company (1889-1916) (Roanoke, Va.) 1
- West, J. W., Rev. 1
- Woman’s Christian Temperance Union 1
- Woman’s Christian Temperance Union of Virginia 1 + ∧ less