Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 25
This collection contains a diary used by a Union and Confederate soldier, both unnamed, through 1864. The Union soldier chronicles his combat experiences during Jubal Early's raid on Washington, D.C., and the opening of Philip Sheridan's Valley campaign in August. The Confederate soldier's entries details activity during Early's push to drive the Union army out of the Valley and concludes with the battle of Opequon or Third Winchester.
2 copies, signed and numbered 1/25 and 2/25.
The collection consists of a commonplace book owned by Minnie Baughman of Richmond, Virginia. Mary Amelia Baughman, known as "Minnie," was the daughter of George and Mary Jane Greer Baughman and sister of Confederate soldiers, George, Jr., Greer H., Charles C., and Emilius A. Baughman. The book dates from November 1864 to July 1865 and contains Minnie's algebra work, French vocabulary, grammar, and a large amount of poetry and Confederate patriotic songs.
This collection includes a claim certificate issued by the Confederate States of America Treasury Department to Catherine Bowers of Staunton, Virginia, awarding her the back pay due to her husband who was killed while serving in the Confederate Army.
Letter from William Lewis Colley to sister, written from a hospital around Winchester, VA, September 3d, 1861. In the letter Colley describes how he accidentally shot off his little finger on his left hand while on picket duty on Millwood Pike near the Opequon River four miles from Winchester.
The collection contains a Confederate Provost Marshall's Pass issued to A.S. Bacon on November 11, 1864 at Lynchburg, Virginia. The pass granted Bacon permission to travel to Richmond, Virginia and is signed by Captain and Provost Marshal, Hiram C. Pierce. The opposite side of the pass has a printed Oath of Allegiance to the Confederate States of America.
The collection contains two invoices and a letter from the Confederate Quartermaster General's Office, dated 1862, 1864, during the American Civil War. They list food and cookery purchases.
The collection consists of signed Confederate States of America pass for R. (Robert?) J. Davis, dated May 9, 1862.
- Civil War 24
- Confederate States of America 21
- Local/Regional History and Appalachian South 5
- Confederate States of America -- Army -- Recruiting, enlistment, etc. 2
- Confederate States of America -- Social Life and Customs 2
- Richmond (Va.) 2
- Christiansburg (Va.) 1
- Diaries 1
- Lynchburg (Va.) 1
- Middlesex County (Va.) 1
- Montgomery County (Va.) 1
- Roanoke (Va.) 1
- Roanoke County (Va.) 1
- Rockbridge County (Va.) 1
- Shenandoah County (Va.) 1
- Spotsylvania Court House, Battle of, Va., 1864 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Diaries 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Homefront 1
- Virginia -- History 1
- Washington County (Va.) 1
- Women -- History 1 + ∧ less
- Heilig, Vicki 3
- Confederate States of America. Department of the Treasury 2
- Confederate States of America. War Department 2
- Baughman, Mary Amelia (Minnie), 1847-1917 1
- Bowers, Catherine 1
- Colley, William L. (William Lewis) (45th Regiment, Virgina Infanry/1st Virginia Cavalry) 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Virginia Infantry Regiment, 45th 1
- Confederate States of America. Quartermaster General’s Office 1
- Davis, R. J. 1
- Early, Jubal Anderson, 1816-1894 1
- Gardner, C. B. 1
- Griswold(?), E. 1
- Harvey, G 1
- Jones, E. P. 1
- Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870 1
- Paxton, James G. 1
- Prechtel, Don 1
- Riddick, Willis F. (Willis Faulke) 1
- Silvette, David, b.1909 1
- United Confederate Veterans. W.F. Martin Camp #1590. Wm. Watts Camp (Roanoke, Virginia) 1
- Virginia. General Assembly 1
- Wood, William B. 1 + ∧ less