Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 23
"An Ideal Home" Illustrated Scrapbook,
The collection consists of an illustrated scrapbook, detailing the set up for a household, possibly compiled for a new bride or a school assignment.
Anti-Saloon League of Virginia Notice
This collection includes an undated Notice of Temperate Meetings held by Rev. J. W. West, Field Secretary of the Anti-Saloon League of Virginia. It includes subjects discussed and testimonials and probably dates between 1903-1909. The Anti-Saloon League of Virginia existed from 1901 to 1933, at the end of prohibition.
Bartender's Cocktail Mixing Notebook [San Francisco, CA]
The Bartender's Cocktail Mixing Notebook [San Francisco, CA] contains typed cocktail recipes with directions for their creation in a small binder. Different sections include lesson plans for specific types of drinks, suggesting this was used in a bartending school or for bartending instruction.
J. A. Brown Account Book
This collection contains an Internal Revenue collections account book kept by J. A. Brown of Martinsville, Virginia, from 1889-1892.
Frank Leslie Campbell Papers
This collection includes wine bottle labels collected by Frank Campbell, an entomologist with the National Academy of Science - National Research Council, and a manuscript draft of his European travel memoir, titled "Better Late."
Cocktail Ephemera Collection
The Cocktail Ephemera Collection is a collection that was created in 2013. The collection consists of materials in a variety of formats (i.e., postcards, pamphlets, and adverstising ephemera) relating to the history of the cocktails, spirits, and wine, dating from the about the 1870s to the present.
Joseph G. Dill Letter to Daniel C. E. Brady
The collection consists of a letter from Joseph G. Dill to Daniel C. E. Brady, written from Richmond, Virginia, on May 30, 1862. Dill writes Brady on a variety of topics including recent war news, the challenges of sending mail through conflict zones, a recent fishing party, the warther, and the price of goods.
El Mirador Hotel Cocktail Menu
This collection contains an undated cocktail menu for the South Pacific Room of the El Mirador Hotel. The menu's cover depicts South Pacific art and the El Mirador Hotel name. On the inside the menu shows colorful depictions of the cocktails offered by the hotel bar. The name and price of each drink is written below the drink depictions.
Ivanhoe, Virginia, Moonshine Still Glass Plate
This collection contains a glass plate with the image of a moonshine still near Ivanhoe, VA, c. 1932. There are also two black and white prints from the plate.
Kammerer Family Business Collection
This collection consists of the family business papers, primarily of John Kammerer and his son, Joseph Kammerer. In addtion, there is material from George W. Jones (likely a business parter or associate) and genearl corresponse relating to the family businesses. Materials date from 1842 to 1914, thought most items are from before 1900.
- Cocktail History Collection 22
- Local/Regional History and Appalachian South 6
- Advertisements 3
- Agriculture 2
- Culinary pamphlets 2
- Ephemera 2
- Pamphlets 2
- Temperance 2
- Ann Hertzler Children's Cookbooks and Nutrition Literature Collection 1
- Architecture (discipline) 1
- Beer 1
- Civil War 1
- Correspondence 1
- Folk, historical, and patent medicine 1
- Food Technology and Production 1
- History of Women in Architecture 1
- Ledgers (account books) 1
- Patent medicines 1
- Postcards 1
- Prohibition -- United States -- History 1
- Railroad 1
- Roanoke (Va.) 1
- Rockbridge County (Va.) 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Virginia 1
- Wine and wine making 1
- Wine labels 1 + ∧ less
- United States. Bureau of Internal Revenue 2
- Bluthentahl & Bickart (1880-1919) (Georgia) 1
- Brady, Daniel C. E. (Daniel Charles Elliott), 1821-1878 1
- Campbell, Frank Leslie, 1898-1979 1
- Dill, Joseph G., 1828-1886 1
- Hotel St. Francis (San Francisco, Calif.) 1
- Jordan, Joseph V. (Los Angeles Modern Bartending School) 1
- Kammerer, Joseph 1
- Los Angeles Modern Bartending School (before 1965) (Los Angeles, CA) 1
- Lowenbach Brothers (Alexandria, Va.) 1
- Norfolk and Western Railway Company (1896-1982) 1
- Old Kentucky Distillery (c.1880-1919) (Louisville, Kentucky) 1
- Olver, Lynne, d.2015 1
- Price, Williamson 1
- Read, Thomas 1
- Scholz, Henry 1
- Scholz, Louis A. 1
- Stimmel Distilling Company (Norfolk, Va) 1
- The Virginia Brewing Company (1889-1916) (Roanoke, Va.) 1
- West, J. W., Rev. 1
- Woman’s Christian Temperance Union 1
- Woman’s Christian Temperance Union of Virginia 1 + ∧ less