Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
The records largely document the recent history of Smithfield Plantation, ancestral home of the Preston family, focusing particularly on its restoration beginning in 1962. While much of the renovation occurred in the 1960s, many of the records detail other renovation projects done in the 1970s and 1980s. The collection also includes historical and other related documents dating from before the original Preston family's residence at Smithfield.
The Anna Whitehead Kenney Papers contains a collection of biographical information about local families compiled by Kenney during her time as a curator at Smithfield Plantation.
The collection contains personal research notes, subject files, and writings; materials relating to the Virginia Tech University Libraries; course notes; dissertation research; work on textiles and arts & crafts history; genealogy notes; brochures on historic sites around Virginia; and maps collected by Dorothy McCombs. Materials date from about 1970-1989.
This collection contains the papers of Virginia Tech alumnus and agricultural information editor, Rudolph Dixon Michael. It contains correspondence and notes relating to the histories Blacksburg, the Preston family, and Smithfield Plantation (including maps of the grounds and the cemetery). It also contains a few campus photographs and printed materials related to Virginia Tech.
The collection consists of family papers, receipts, correspondence, and original and photocopied materials relating to the Preston family, primarily William and Susanna Smith Preston, John Preston, and William Ballard Preston, dating from the 1740s to the 1880s. Other materials include 19th and 20th century genealogy research on the Prestons.
The Didier Collection of Preston Family Papers includes papers of James Patton, Patton's grandson William Preston, and Preston's eldest son, John Preston, all of Montgomery County, Virginia. The papers consist of business and legal documents, surveys, and correspondence.
This collection contains three handwritten genealogies of the Preston Family, as well as a letter from Willard Preston to Charles Aschmann.
The Smithfield Preston Foundation Papers consist of 200 letters written almost exclusively by two generations of members of the Preston family of southwest Virginia, Kentucky, and South Carolina, to James and Sarah Preston McDowell of Rockbridge County, Virginia.
- Blacksburg (Va.) 8
- Montgomery County (Va.) 8
- Women -- History 6
- University History 2
- Civil War 1
- Faculty 1
- Family histories 1
- Genealogies (histories) 1
- Politicians -- United States 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1 + ∧ less
- Smithfield Plantation House (Blacksburg, Va.) 5
- Preston, John, 1764-1827 3
- Preston, Susanna Smith, 1740-1823 3
- Preston, William, 1729-1783 3
- Patton, James, 1692-1755 (Preston family, Montgomery County, Va.) 2
- Preston family (Solitude, Blacksburg, Va.) 2
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute (1944-1970) 2
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (1970-) 2
- Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (APVA) (1889-2009) 1
- Black, Harvey, 1827-1888 1
- Caperton family 1
- Caperton, George Henry (Nelson County, Va.) 1
- Caperton, Mary Elizabeth Henderson (Nelson County, Va.) 1
- Kenney, Anna Whitehead 1
- Madison, Elizabeth Preston, 1762-1837 1
- McCombs, Dorothy F., 1923-1990 1
- McDowell family (Rockbridge County, Va.) 1
- McDowell, James, 1770-1835 1
- McDowell, James, 1795-1851 1
- McDowell, Sarah Preston, 1767-1841 1
- McDowell, Susana Smith Preston 1
- Michael, Rudolph Dixon, 1904-1994 1
- Preston family (Abingdon, Va.) 1
- Preston, Edmonia M. (Edmonia Madison Randolph), 1787-1847 1
- Preston, Francis, 1765-1835 1
- Preston, Thomas L. (Thomas Lewis), 1812-1903 1
- Preston, Willard 1
- Preston, William Ballard, 1805-1862 1
- Preston, William C. (William Campbell), 1794-1860 1
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (1896-1944) 1 + ∧ less