Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 17
Willis A. Babcock Diary
The collection consists of a Babcock's diary from 1864. Entries detail camp life throughout parts of Virginia, the siege at Petersburg, and his experiences with guard, orderly, and police duties. Babcock served with the 10th Regiment, New York Heavy Artillery.
Greer and Emilius Baughman Civil War Letters
The collection consists of seven letters written by brothers and Confederate soldiers, Greer and Emilius Baughman from locations in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and the trenches around Petersburg, Virginia. Letters were written to family back home in Richmond between 1862 and 1865.
Daniel Blain Papers
Four wartime letters and a post-war diary of Daniel Blain, a Confederate soldier in the 1st Rockbridge Artillery during the American Civil War and later a Presbyterian minister in Rockbridge County, Virginia.
Asa P. Blunt Letter,
The collection consists of a letter from Union soldier Brigadier General Asa P. Blunt (1826-1889), written to an unidentified cousin, from Fort Monroe, Va., on June 10, 1864.
Civil War Union Soldier's Letters
Three letters from Washburn (last name unknown), a Union soldier in the 14th Massachusetts Battery in the Civil War, to his brother and mother. Washburn writes in April and May 1865 from various places in Virginia about rumors of the soldiers being mustered out of service, souvenir hunters buying up Confederate money, and the effects of the war on the town of Petersburg, Virginia.
Harold J. Eaton Memoir
This collection contains a memoir written by Corporal Harold J. Eaton, a Union soldier. In the memoir, Eaton discusses several aspects of military life during the Civil War, including battles and marches.
Charles W. Folsom Collection,
This collections contains papers relating to Charles Folsom who served as a Quartermaster with the 20th Regiment, Massachusetts Infantry in the latter years of the American Civil War.
Lewis M. Foster Letter,
The collection includes a single letter from Lewis M. Foster to his mother, written near Petersburg, Virginia, December 1864.
Letters to W. S. Harris,
The collection contains three letters to W. S. Harris, two by John Puller (July and August 1863) and one by D. C. Cahill(?) (April 1863).
Stephen R. Kelsey Diary and Notes
Diary maintained by Stephen R. Kelsey between January and May, 1865, while in New York and Virginia with Battery I, 5th U. S. Artillery, during the American Civil War, with entries discussing the occupation of Petersburg, Virginia, the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, and the capture of Jefferson Davis. Accompanied by a typescript biographical essay by Ernest Flint Kelsey, Stephen Kelsey's nephew, commenting on his uncle's military service.
- Subject: Petersburg (Va.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 X
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Diaries 4
- Local/Regional History and Appalachian South 3
- Petersburg (Va.) -- History -- Siege, 1864-1865 3
- Virginia -- History 2
- Diaries 1
- Folk, historical, and patent medicine 1
- History of Food and Drink 1
- Maryland Campaign, 1862 1
- Medicine 1
- Medicine, Military -- History 1
- Richmond (Va.) 1
- Rockbridge County (Va.) 1
- Spotsylvania Court House, Battle of, Va., 1864 1 + ∧ less
- Babcock, Willis A., b. abt. 1840-? 1
- Baughman, Emilius A. (Emilius Allen), 1844-1915 1
- Baughman, Greer H. (Greer Harry), 1840-1907 1
- Blain, Daniel 1
- Blunt, Asa Peabody, 1826-1889 1
- Cahill(?), D. C. 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Virginia Infantry Regiment, 21st 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Virginia Light Artillery Battalion, 38th 1
- Eaton, Harold J. 1
- Folsom, Charles W., 1826-1904 1
- Foster, Lewis M., b. abt. 1844 1
- Harris, W. S. 1
- Hoyt, Sarah J. 1
- Kelsey, Stephen R. 1
- Leonard, William A., b.1843(?) 1
- Mervine, Henry G. 1
- Peltz, Philip G., 1832-1868 1
- Puller, John 1
- Shipman, F. I. 1
- Shipman, Frederick E., 1845-1892 1
- Tinkle, William W. 1
- Woodward, Junius, b. abt. 1846/1847-1921 1 + ∧ less