Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Confederate Civil War muster roll, taken June 12, 1861, in Staunton, Virginia, of the Captain John P. Brock Cavalry of the 1st Cavalry Regiment Wise Legion, which was renamed in May 1862 as the 10th Regiment Virginia Cavalry. Muster roll lists volunteers' rank, age, value of horses and horse equipment brought with them, and where, when and how long they joined for duty.
This collection consists of 100+ letters written between the years of 1863–1868, accompanied by a book entitled, The Heizer Family: American Pioneers by James Marion Heizer c.1861-1868. The majority of the letters are authored by James Francis (Frank) Heizer, a private in the Confederate army, whose letters are mostly addressed to his love interest and eventual fiance, Pheobe Ann McCormick.
The Western Lunatic Asylum Collection includes correspondence written to the Western Lunatic Asylum in Staunton, Virginia, dating from 1840 through the late 19th century, as well as annual reports from the 1860s and 1900s.
This collection contains materials exhibited by Virginia Tech's Newman Library in 1956 to commemorate the centennial of the birth of President Woodrow Wilson.
- Subject: Staunton (Va.) X
- Civil War 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- Augusta County (Va.) 1
- Buena Vista (Va.) 1
- Correspondence 1
- Folk, historical, and patent medicine 1
- Health 1
- Medicine 1
- Politicians -- United States 1
- Presidents -- United States 1
- Virginia -- History 1 + ∧ less
- Heizer, James Francis, 1841-1930 1
- Heizer, Phoebe Anne McCormick, 1845-1906 1
- Stribling, Francis T. (Francis Taliaferro), 1810-1874 1
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Library 1
- Western Lunatic Asylum (Va.) 1
- Wilson, Woodrow, 1856-1924 1 + ∧ less