Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 20
© 1960 by Paul Victorius (Charlottesvillve, Virginia)
Collection consists of an electrotype replica of the Great Seal of the Confederate States of America, along with a letter of authentication, dated 6 March 1874, from J.S. and A.B. Wyon of London, England, the engravers of the original Great Seal made for the Confederacy in 1864.
Letter from E.P. Jones to Colonel David J. Godwin, written May 28th, 1863 from Middlesex County, Virginia. The letter is a petition from Jones to Godwin to have authority and rank to raise a company of cavalry behind enemy lines.
Letter from James G. Paxton to Major William McLaughlin. Writing from Salem, Virginia, informs McLaughlin that his name is being put forward as a possible candidate for the Virginia Senate.
Letter written by Willis F. Riddick in Richmond, Virginia, to Addie Courier, April 1st, 1863. Riddick's letter is written from the Confederate Capitol of Richmond, Virginia and contains information relating to popular literature, war news, and items regarding the city of Richmond.
Scrapbook of newspaper clippings from unidentified newspapers, collected between 1870 and 1916 (concentrating mostly in the 1870s and 1880s). Topics include the Confederacy, Southern culture, the Confederate view of the Civil War, Confederate soldiers and officers (particularly Robert E. Lee), the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Civil War battles fought in Virginia, and the 1916 silent film The Birth of a Nation.
John Singleton Mosby (1833-1916) pictured
VTF 4056; print
Letter from William B. Wood, Confederate colonel and chief of the military court in General Longstreet's corps. Wood discusses an invitation that he had received to run for the Confederate senate and his desire to return to civilian life after having been passed over for military promotion.
- Confederate States of America 17
- Confederate States of America -- Social Life and Customs 2
- Local/Regional History and Appalachian South 2
- Richmond (Va.) 2
- Christiansburg (Va.) 1
- Confederate States of America -- Army -- Recruiting, enlistment, etc. 1
- Diaries 1
- Lynchburg (Va.) 1
- Middlesex County (Va.) 1
- Montgomery County (Va.) 1
- Rockbridge County (Va.) 1
- Shenandoah County (Va.) 1
- Spotsylvania Court House, Battle of, Va., 1864 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Diaries 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Homefront 1
- Washington County (Va.) 1
- Women -- History 1 ∧ less
- Heilig, Vicki 3
- Baughman, Mary Amelia (Minnie), 1847-1917 1
- Bowers, Catherine 1
- Colley, William L. (William Lewis) (45th Regiment, Virgina Infanry/1st Virginia Cavalry) 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Virginia Infantry Regiment, 45th 1
- Confederate States of America. Department of the Treasury 1
- Confederate States of America. War Department 1
- Davis, R. J. 1
- Early, Jubal Anderson, 1816-1894 1
- Gardner, C. B. 1
- Griswold(?), E. 1
- Harvey, G 1
- Jones, E. P. 1
- Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870 1
- Paxton, James G. 1
- Prechtel, Don 1
- Riddick, Willis F. (Willis Faulke) 1
- Silvette, David, b.1909 1
- Wood, William B. 1 ∧ less