Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 12
Papers associated with William Addison "Add" Caldwell (1856-1910) of Craig County, Virginia, first student enrolled at Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (VAMC, later Virginia Tech). Includes a letter written by Caldwell in 1910; his 1875 VAMC report card; a Caldwell family photo portrait; Caldwell's obituary; and a Bible given to Caldwell by Mrs. William C. McKemey.
Thomas Nelson Conrad (1837-1905) served in the Confederate Army during the American Civil War and as President of Virginia Tech. The collection consists of the original manuscript of The Rebel Scout: A Thrilling History of Scouting Life in the Southern Army, written by Conrad from 1891 to 1893, and published in 1904.
The collection consists of pages from an account book, bills, notes, and correspondence relating to John T. Cowan's personal and business affairs.
The collection consists of a letter written by Jubal A. Early to General William H. Payne of Warrenton, Virginia, about the appointment of General Lunsford Lindsay Lomax to the Presidency of Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (now Virginia Tech) in Blacksburg.
The photograph collection at Special Collections and University Archives consists primarily of historical photographs of Virginia Tech, dating back to the 1890s. The collection is also home to historic images of Blacksburg, Montgomery County, the New River Valley, and Southwest Virginia in general. A photograph collection of faculty and staff from the university is maintained separately.
The Named/Individual Photograph Collections include images from alumni and former faculty and staff, or individuals with ties to campus and the New River Valley. Collections (c.1890-present) depict campus life and events, railroad history, agricultural extension research, Blacksburg and surrounding areas, and some local families.
This collection contains an agent’s book for Olin and Preston Institute, five copies of reports from the Committee on Seminaries, and programs from the Alpha Literary Society and Preston Literary Society.
The Ellison A. Smyth, Sr. collection contains papers including his correspondence with professional and amateur scientists, collectors, dealers and suppliers around the world concerning entomology and zoology, his publications, and field journals from his entomological work.
The collection consists of a timeline and copies of documentation about Robert Creede Taylor, a former student at Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College, and his family during the years 1866 to 1915 gathered by R. C. Taylor's great-grandson.
Thirteen letters with their envelopes from VAMC student William Townes to family members L. W. Wimbish and Mrs. L. W. Wimbish in Boydton, Mecklenburg County, Virginia over the period March 15, 1875 to November 2, 1875. Letters concern his expenses and need for funds and his wish for news of home. Also mentioned are boarding in town, opinions of Blacksburg, a masque ball, constant drilling, fellow cadets, and farm matters.
- Montgomery County (Va.) 6
- Blacksburg (Va.) 4
- Faculty 3
- Students and alumni 3
- Agricultural extension work 2
- Photographs 2
- Women -- History 2
- Civil War 1
- Craig County (Va.) 1
- Railroad 1
- Roanoke (Va.) 1
- Science and Technology 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1 + ∧ less
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (1896-1944) 8
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute (1944-1970) 3
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute. Corps of Cadets (1896-1944) 2
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (1970-) 2
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Corps of Cadets 2
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Corps of Cadets (1944-1970) 2
- Caldwell, William Addison 1
- Charles E. Vawter family 1
- Conrad, Thomas Nelson 1
- Cowan, John T. 1
- Early, Jubal Anderson, 1816-1894 1
- Lomax, Lunsford Lindsay, 1835-1913 1
- Preston and Olin Institute (Blacksburg, Va.) 1
- Smyth, Ellison A. (Ellison Adger), 1863-1941 1
- Taylor, Robert Creede, 1866-1915 1
- Townes, William 1
- Vawter, C. E. (Charles Erastus), 1841-1905 1 + ∧ less