Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. College of Engineering (1964-)
- Usage: 1964-
Engineering courses have been available since the inception of Virginia Tech in 1872 when a student could follow the "Mechanical" course of study which included mechanical drawing, mechanical engineering, machinery, and steam engines. When the first administrative instructional divisions were established in 1903-04, engineering was one of four academic departments for which a dean was appointed. In 1920-21, it became the School of Engineering and then, in 1964, the College of Engineering.
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
This collection contains Doug Burton's papers and memorabilia from a Pratt-funded Virginia Tech engineering trip to the USSR and Finland taken in March 1979. It primarily consists of VT trip handouts, maps, a newspaper, Moscow Olympics souvenirs, some books, and a transcript of Doug Burton's diary.
The collection contains 1903 to 1905 letters from Louis O'Shaughnessy to his future wife, Ida Surface, and one letter from O'Shaughnessy to G. T. Surface.