Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Department of Graphics
Mechanical drawing was offered as part of the "Mechanical" course of study in the Department of Technical Mechanics, in 1872. In 1875, this became the Department of Mechanics and Drawing. From 1878, courses in drawing were offered under various department names, until 1902 when a Department of Drawing was formed. In 1904, the name became the Department of Graphics. From 1914-20, it was called the Department of Mechanism, Descriptive Geometry, and Graphics, and then from 1920- 47, it was called the Department of Graphics and Mechanism. In 1948, it became the Department of Graphics again. In 1963, the department was reorganized as a division under the Department of Industrial Engineering.